List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1320306

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, VILLAGE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WirralMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 15-Nov-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 215648

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WIRRAL VILLAGE ROAD SJ 28 SW (west side) Heswall 5/308 Church of 15.11.62 St. Peter

G.V. II*

Church. Tower C14, bell stage late C15; rest of church, 1879, south chapel 1893. By J.F. Doyle. Stone with slate roof. Nave with aisles, south-west tower, chancel, north vestry and south chapel. Tower has diagonal west buttresses, 3-light west window has reticulated tracery; bell stage has sill course and 3-light louvred bell openings with Perpendicular tracery; cornice, and panelled embattled parapet; square south-east stair turret. 5-bay aisles have 3-light windows with Geometrical tracery, most of 3 lights, south gabled porch to west end and entrance to east end, one 4-light window, north aisle has one 2-light window. West end of nave has 5-light window and round stack. Clerestory has single lights, paired to east bay. Chancel has 5-light window. South chapel ornate Perpendicular style, sill course, cornice with carvings of animals, embattled parapet and crocketed pinnacles; panelled gabled buttresses; east 4- light and south 3-light windows; south sundial. Gable vestry and organ loft with east extension under lean-to roof, eastern windows are straight headed, gabled bay has triple trefoil-headed lights and rose window. Interior: Nave has arcades with octagonal piers to north and round piers to south, eastern bay has wall shafts; arch-braced roof. Tower arch to end of south aisle has octagonal responds; wall tablet to John Glegg (died 1619) inscribed with kneeling figure; Katherine Glegg (died 1666) armorial panel under open pediment. Font, 1879, round bowl on clustered shafts, acanthus ornament. West end of nave has Royal arms, 1811, C18 balsuter font, and commandment boards. Chancel arch on corbelled shafts, low iron railing and round-ended pulpit. 2-bay chancel arcade with stone parclose screen, waggon roof, recessed sedi] ia; north arch to organ loft. Reredos by C.E. Kempe, 1890. South chapel has wrought iron screen. Much stained glass by Kempe, e.g. east, south-east, south-west and tower windows.

Listing NGR: SJ2658381215

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 26583 81215

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Aug-2014 at 11:13:46.