List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1320141

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BuckinghamshireAylesbury ValeDistrict AuthorityWing

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 18-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 350841

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 82 SE WING CHURCH STREET

6/95 Church of All Saints

18.10.66 I

Parish. church. Originally C10 with nave, N. aisle, chancel and crypt surviving from this period. Probably built for Aelfgifa, sister-in-law to King Eadgar. S. aisle rebuilt C14. C15 S. porch,W. tower and clerestory. N. porch rebuilt C19, and church restored 1848-9, 1893-4 and 1939-40. Coursed Limestone and greensand rubble, dressed stone parapets, lead roofs. W. tower of 3 stages has battlemented parapet with carved gargoyles, angle buttresses, moulded plinth and 3-light traceried openings to bell-chamber. W. side has large 4-light traceried perpendicular window, smaller 2-light window above, and door in 2-centred arch with blind tracery to spandrels. Nave has 4-bay clerestory of 2-light traceried windows with flat heads, the W. bay having taller windows with depressed arches, and battlemented parapet with carved stone figures below. Aisles have plain parapets with similar carved figures. S. aisle has regular C15 traceried windows, 3 2-light to S., one to W., and 3-light to E. Irregular C15 2- and 3-light windows to N. aisle, with 3-light Perpendicular window over blocked C10 arch at E. end. Porches have plain parapets, 2-centred arches and a pair of 2-light traceried windows to each side. N. arch has ornamental fleurons. S. porch is more elaborate with crocketted finials, carved animal figures below parapet, and carved heraldic angels and foliage to spandrels. Seven- sided apse, each side having blind semi-circular arch on narrow angle pilasters with gable motif above and altered parapet. N. and S. sides each have 3-light cusped window, E. side has higher 3-light traceried window with transom. S.side also has off-side lancet and entry to crypt. Crypt is roughly vaulted with ambulatory around small central chamber. Interior: Tall moulded tower arch on piers with attached shafts. Nave has 3 bays of unmoulded semi-circular C10 arches on large rectangular piers with off-set imposts. W. bay has smaller C10 arches above main arcade, probably oncethe entrances to a W. gallery, one now blocked. 4tn bay to E. was altered C13, and has double chamfered arches. 4-centred arch to rood-loft in S. wall. E. wall of nave has C10 window with 2 round arches on central column with cushion capital. Fine C15 nave roof with moulded tie and cross beams,carved bosses, carved angel king-posts and alternately tall and short carved figure corbels. Aisle roofs also C15 with moulded beams. S. aisle has screened chapel with arched door and stairs to rood-loft. Wide C10 chancel arch, similar to nave arcade. Chancel has C15 pillar piscina with semi-octagonal shaft. Fittings: C15 octagonal font with quatrefoil panels containing instruments of the passion; early C17 pulpit with carved arcaded panels; medieval chest; pews mostly C15-C16, restored; C15-C16 screens to S. chapel and chancel, that to nave much restored,those to chapel with elaborate cusping; medieval board and stud doors; panel of C14 glass in S. chapel; glass by Kempe, 1901, in chancel. Monuments: fine classical monument to Sir Robert Dormer 1552, consisting of sarcophagus carved with bucrania and swags, small brass inscription panels, and canopy with ornately moulded entablature on paired Corinthian columns; chancel has large wall monuments, one to Sir William Dormer and wife 1590 with recumbent effigies, the other to his son , Sir Robert, and wife, early C17, with kneeling figures, both monuments with kneeling children, elaborate surrounds and railings; marble wall tablet in nave to Anna Sophia Dormer 1694/5 with bust in niche and mourning putti; also marble tablet to Henry Fynes 1758 with carved putto unveiling urn; other late C17 and C18 wall tablets; brass to Thomas Cotes, 1648, porter of Ascott Hall. RCHM II p. 331-335.

Listing NGR: SP8803222586

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North - Date: 1913 - Page References: 331-5

National Grid Reference: SP 88029 22582

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 03:11:06.