List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE LESS

List entry Number: 1320130

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE LESS, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
South GloucestershireUnitary AuthorityIron Acton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 27-Nov-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 350687

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 68 SE IRON ACTON HIGH STREET (south side)

2/3 Church of St. James the Less

G.V. I

Anglican Parish Church. Late C14/early C15, substantial restoration, dated over north door , 1879 by Sir T.G. Jackson, chancel restoration of c.1930 includes work by F.C. Eden. Rubble, freestone dressings, quoins and chequers, double roman tile roofs with raised, coped verges and saddlestones. West tower, nave, north porch, chancel, south chapel and aisle. Mainly Perpendicular. Square, 3-stage tower on plinth with large, diagonal, weathered buttresses, those to north have ogee-headed image niches, that at north-east has a canopy and finials, that at north-west contains statue of St. James, at south a half- hexagon stair tower rises to the third stage; first stage has a small, pointed west door below a defaced stellate hood, above that is a restored 3-light window, hood stops are crude faces, on either side is a trefoil headed blank arcade, shafts culminating in figures, faces, mainly blank shields and, in this case 2 plain crosses; this motif continues north and south where shafts stand on face corbels, some chequers at this stage; second stage has slit lights at east and west, below that to west is a single cusped light, at north a similar light is flanked by 2 image niche with cusped nodding canopies below a plain clock; third stage has 1 tall transmullioned, barely pointed 2-light window per side, cusped herds, blank below transom, pierced shutters above, gargoyles below parapet with trefoil-headed panels, at the corners buttresses are surmounted by shafts with crocketed finials, at north a figure of a knight. 3-bay nave has one clerestorey window per bay, each of 3 cusped lights under a square head just below eaves which have a coved cornice and moulded rafter ends, at north is a 4-light square-headed window flanked by a polygonal rood stair turret with single light and a buttress, these all stand to the east of the north porch, rebuilt in 1879 with banded masonry, 2 storeys, gabled, buttressed with embattled parapet and finials, 4-light window above a frieze of cusped panels above a moulded, pointed doorway, at east is a single, quatrefoil light, at west a polygonal stair turret. Gabled chancel has two 3-light square-headed windows to north and a 3-light pointed east window surmounted by a cross'finial. Gabled south chapel has a similar east window with cruder tracery, 2 south windows as chancel on a cill string which rises in position of former priest's door; buttressed south aisle has 2 similar but taller windows and a moulded, pointed door, tall pointed 3-light window at west, east gable surmounted by octagonal, panelled shaft, sundial dated 166- above west buttress. Interior: tall heavy tower arch has very large wave and hollow mouldings below fine grotesque capitals, above 2 hollow mouldings flank a heavy chamfer, a fan vault rises from figurative corbels to circular bell opening, there is a narrow entrance to a tiny north chamber, reputed to be former lock-up; the nave has a simple wagon roof and shows both entrances and rood stair at north and upper rood niche at south; north porch has a moulded doorway, plank and batten studded door and a stoup on a shaft, a carved fragment which may be of Saxon origin is set in door reveal; low, unadorned chancel arch leads to chancel with features from 2 restorations, wagon roof with bosses and embattled wall plate of 1930s as is the reredos, flanked'by canbjibd image niches, by F.C. Eden, mosaic flooring of 1879. 3-bay tudor arch arcade to south chapel with simple, original wagon roof, bosses and embattled wall plate, inserted painted timber screen, arch as at chancel leads to south aisle with 3-bay arcade on octagonal shafts, plain wagon roof on stone corbels rebuilt 1950s, remains of piscina at south- east, sacristy inserted in south-west corner. Fittings: good benches, some copies but substantially of C15/C16 with heavy linenfold ends, some dado panels. Jacobean pulpit with tester, repositioned and restored below the style, octagonal, arched panels, tester with strapwork and finials, rear panel reads: ROBERT.HO/OPPER. PAR/SON. THOMAS/LEG. AND/MIGHILL. TU/CK. CHURCH/WARDINS./ANNO. 1624; 2-tier brass chandelier reads: GILES LORINGE WILLIAM PAYNE CHURCH WARDENS 1725. Memorials: Poyntz (south) chapel has 3 incised stones to the Poyntz family, 2 recumbent figures a knight and a lady, C16 chest tomb with canopy with finals which flank a pierced, ashlared frieze. 3 armorial bearings at rear; in chancel a plain Jacobean table tomb and a good tablet, crude Tuscan columns carry entablature below swan-neck pediment and arms, to Machin, 1716 and a carved and painted table to Rev. Thomas Shute and wife, 1728; south aisle has a small tablet with momento mori, John Trevitt, 1686, and another tablet similar to and by the same hand as that in chancel, Wither 1720. Various C19 marble tablets on slate grounds, one of 1830 by 0. Greenway, one by J. Thomas of Bristol. Glass: north-east window of chancel has mediaeval fragments. (Source: D Verey : Buildings of England : Gloucestershire : The Vale and the Forest of Dean : 1970).

Listing NGR: ST6806783453

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

National Grid Reference: ST 68065 83452

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 06:30:49.