List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: REMAINS OF TOWER AND WALLS OF MONASTIC CHURCH APPROXIMATELY 250 METRES SOUTH OF PRIORY FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1320105

Location

REMAINS OF TOWER AND WALLS OF MONASTIC CHURCH APPROXIMATELY 250 METRES SOUTH OF PRIORY FARMHOUSE, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireNorth WarwickshireDistrict AuthorityMaxstoke

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Sep-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 309016

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MAXSTOKE CHURCH ROAD SP2386 (South side) 17/111 Remains of tower and walls of 08/09/61 monastic church approx. 250m S of Priory Farmhouse (Formerly listed as Remains of tower and walls of monastic church) GV II* Remains of tower comprising the north east corner almost to original height and the chancel arch. Squared and coursed sandstone. Chancel arch 2-centred and of hollow and roll moulded orders. Parts only of the north and south transept arches remain. 3 mouldings to each face dying into the pier. Above the chancel arch is a round headed opening. The gable of the chancel roof is visible in the east wall of the tower. Originally the central crossing tower of the priory church of the Augustinian Canons founded in 1336 by William de Clinton, Earl of Huntingdon, and consecrated in 1342. Scheduled ancient monument. (VCH; Warwickshire: Vol IV; Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p349)

Listing NGR: SP2344586742

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1947 - Volume: 4
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 349

National Grid Reference: SP 23445 86742

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 08:23:55.