List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ESPRIT

List entry Number: 1319938

Location

CHURCH OF ST ESPRIT, NORTH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireRugbyDistrict AuthorityMarton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Oct-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 308748

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MARTON NORTH STREET SP46NW (North side) 5/104 Church of St. Esprit 06/10/60 - II* Church. Early C13 origins. Lower part of tower C13, upper part late C14/C15. Rest mostly rebuilt 1871 by G. Punshon. Squared coursed lias with limestone dressings; tower has base, quoins, bands and dressings of red sandstone, and upper part of limestone ashlar. Tile roofs have coped gable parapets with weatherings and cross finials, and ridge cresting. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. Gothic Revival style. One-bay chancel, 2-bay nave. Chancel has sandstone quoins. 3-light east window and similar 2-light south windows have reticulated tracery and hood moulds with foliage stops. Aisles and porch have splayed plinth and sill course, and shallow buttresses. Porch has moulded Decorated style doorway with hood mould and carved stops. Early C13 south doorway inside has roll moulding and simple nook-shafts. Double-leaf doors. Aisles have trefoiled round-arched lights throughout. South aisle has east and south-west lancets, triple light to south-east, and paired west lights. North aisle and organ chamber has chamfered arched north-east door, north lancet and triple lancet; paired north-west and west lights. North and south clerestories of 2 paired lancets. Tower of 3 stages has splayed plinth. First stage has trefoiled west lancet. Splay between stages. Second stage has lancet to each side. Moulded string course. Third stage has 2-light Perpendicular bell openings. Moulded cornice and parapet. Single-storey projection of 1871 in south-east angle has arched door and chamfered light. Interior: chancel has arched braced roof with short crown posts. East window has attached shafts and hood mould. Arch to organ chamber has stiff leaf capitals. Early English style chancel arch of 2 hollow chamfered orders has triple shafts with stiff-leaf capitals. Nave has hammer-beam roof. Segmental-pointed tower arch. C14/C15 two-bay south arcade of 2 chamfered orders has octagonal piers and simple moulded capitals. Similar north arcade of 1871 has more elaborate capitals. Text banners flanking chancel arch, and framing large cross on south wall, all of painted metal. Aisle eastern windows have detached shafts. Fittings: stone pulpit and reading desk of 1871 flanking chancel arch. Stained glass: east window 1873. The rebuilding cost 1,800. (V,C.H.; Warwickshire, Vol.6, pp.172-173; Buildings of England; Warwickshire, p.348; Kelly's Directory of Warwickshire, 1892, pp.149-150).

Listing NGR: SP4068668901

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Warwickshire - Date: 1892 - Journal Title: Kellys Directory - Page References: 149-150 - Type:
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1951 - Volume: 6 - Page References: 172-173
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 348

National Grid Reference: SP 40686 68901

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 01:38:03.