List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MOOR PARK

List entry Number: 1319854

Location

MOOR PARK, MOOR PARK LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyWaverleyDistrict AuthorityFarnham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 443032

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 84 NE 12/135 26.4.50 1099

MOOR PARK LANE Moor Park

II*

The present exterior of the house is late cI8 and is a rebuilding of the C17 house of Sir William Temple, famous in his time for its gardens. The garden front (south west) is 3 storeys, with a taller central motif consisting of a wide angular bay with a slightly projecting centre. The bay has 3 windows and the flanking wings 2 windows each. The main cornice is at 1st floor level with a moulded string over at 2nd floor cill level, both carried round central bay, and the cornice curved segmentally over central window of bay. Each wing has a central 3-panes wide 2nd floor window in segmental arched recess; lining with panels on each face of central bay. A moulded string at head of walls to side wing is carried round centre bay; the latter carried up another storey with a square window on each face, and crowned with a 2nd cornice, with a pediment on line of main wall. The entrance front has symmetrical flanking wings of similar general design and a later arcaded porch across ground floor between the wings. within, staircase with "crinoline" balustrade; oval plaster medallions in elegant plaster frames on staircase walls. Range of one-storey brick outbuildings (altered) adjoins house to north-west (now in domestic use). Foundations of former banqueting house and gazebo also remain to the north-west. The sundial said to mark the grave of Temple's heart has disappeared. The lines of the original terraced garden leading to the river remain, but no architectural features. The planting is now informal, and a very fine cedar stands in front of the house, which is backed by the long wooded ridge of the north-east side of the Wey valley. The great beauty of this valley, both sides of which are thickly wooded and which extends from the railway near' Farnham junction to the entrance of Waverley Park, and sweeps round through the Park is so far unaffected by modern building. Moor Park was the house for 15 years of Sir William Temple and his wife Dorothy Osbourne. Jonathan Swift, as secretary to Sir Wlilliam, wrote here "A Tale of a Tub", "The Battle of the Books"" and here also he met Stella. Charles Darwin was a visitor here. Earl Roberts lived at Moor Park in the early part of this century. See article in "country life" for November 25, 1949, tracing the outlines of Sir William Temple's garden, and the existence of a C17 house within the present building.

Listing NGR: SU8621646529

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 25 November, (1949)

National Grid Reference: SU 86216 46529

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 10:43:22.