List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1319799

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
StaffordshireStaffordDistrict AuthorityBradley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 15-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Jan-1972

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 442779

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRADLEY

603/9/1 CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS 15-JAN-68 (Formerly listed as: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS)

I Village church in a large churchyard. Late C13/early C14 core; Lady Chapel dedicated in 1343; mid C14 N arcade; nave rebuilt in the early C16; substantial restoration of 1906-1908 to the designs of W D Caroe. Mostly ashlar masonry, tiled roofs. Plan of nave and chancel with 2-bay NE Lady chapel, its E wall flush with the chancel, and a 3 bay N aisle; W tower. Internal vestry at W end of the N aisle.

Exterior: The chancel has clasping pilaster buttresses, and low pilaster buttresses under the sill of the E window which is 3-light and traceried in the Decorated style. On the S side the chancel is buttressed with a probably C13 priest's doorway with a medieval timber door. 3 Decorated style traceried windows to the S side. The nave has an embattled parapet and an imposing early C16 S elevation with very tall transomed 3 and 2-light windows with cusped lights. Square-headed Perpendicular S doorway with carved spandrels within an earlier, tall, blind arch. The Lady Chapel is buttressed with a moulded stone cornice, the upper courses of masonry are replacements. It has a triple lancet E window and two C14 2-light traceried windows to the W, one with an integral small square light below the sill, and one 4-light square-headed window with cusped lights. The lean-to N aisle has angle buttresses and buttresses with set-offs. N doorway of C19 or early C20 appearance with a plain square-headed window to its W and 2 square-headed 2-light windows with cusped tracery. An C18 sketch of the church establishes that these are later replacements. 2-stage W tower with an internal SW stair turret, diagonal buttresses and a frieze of blind tracery below the embattled parapet. 1907 W window with reticulated tracery; 2-light belfry openings with cusped lights.

Interior: Exceptionally interesting features and fittings. Unplastered walls. Double-chamfered chancel arch. Impressive Caroe chancel screen, dedicated in 1914 with flamboyant traceried openings and a rood loft, making use of the medieval roof loft stair turret on the S side. Very elegant, tall, 3-bay N arcade with piers of quatrefoil section with fillets and rolls and moulded arches. 2-bay arcade between the Lady chapel and the chancel with an octagonal pier supporting double-chamfered arches. The plain pointed arch between Lady chapel and N aisle has the scars of two lower lean-to roofs on the W face. Tall double-chamfered tower arch with moulded capitals to the responds. The chancel roof that is visible is an early C20 boarded wagon divided into panels by moulded ribs. The church guide records that a medieval roof survives behind. The Lady Chapel roof is medieval with 4 tie beam trusses with cranked tie beams, king posts and curved braces. The N aisle roof is also medieval. The rafters are fixed to a wallplate on the outer face of the arcade, the wallplate supported on stone corbels. There is one tier of purlins. The nave roof is dated 1908, a very shallow-pitched tie-beam roof with short curved braces. The roof is divided into panels by moulded ribs. The E wall incorporates the remains of a C14 reredos, very rare, consisting of a chamfered recess filled with large-scale stone tracery. C12 tub font with unusually lavish carved friezes including a key pattern and a cable moulding. Polygonal timber pulpit of 1907 decorated with buttresses and ogee arches. Panel of medieval floor tiles in the sanctuary. Early C20 choir stalls in an Arts and Crafts style with ends with poppyhead finials. Fragments of Perpendicular stained glass in the S windows of the nave and some in the E window. Numerous monuments including a wall monument to Sir Thomas Browne, d.1633 and his wife with kneeling alabaster figures. C17 stencilling and text on the N respond of the chancel arch. Nave benches with square-headed shoulders.

Historical Note: The church guide suggests that the N arcade originated at the Augustinian Priory at Stafford and was re-erected here in 1542, after the church wardens are recorded purchasing cartloads of stone. The church has a copy of a c.1798 print showing the N side before the restoration of the N aisle windows. A Chronicle of Bradeley includes a photograph of the interior of the church looking W before Caroe's restoration.

Outstanding for the quality and extent of the medieval fabric including a notably fine C13 arcade; 3 medieval roofs, the rare remains of a C14 reredos and a C12 tub font. The substantial restoration by Caroe in the early C20 revealed much of the medieval fabric and added carpentry and joinery of a very high quality in the early C20.

Sources Pevsner, Staffordshire, 1974, 76 Wilkinson, W & A., A Chronicle of Bradeley, 1999.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974)
Wilkinson, W, Wilkinson, A , A Chronicle of Bradeley, (1999)

National Grid Reference: SJ 87956 18050

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 10:28:37.