List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1319461

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Windsor and MaidenheadUnitary AuthorityShottesbrooke

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-Apr-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 41120

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHOTTESBROOKE SHOTTESBROOKE PARK SU 87 NW 8/33 Church of St. John the Baptist 11.04.72

G.V. I

Parish church. c 1337, spire restored 1757-8 following severe damage caused by a thunderstorm. Restored 1852-4 by G. E. Street. Flint with stone quoins, the chancel of knapped flint, the spire stone; old tile coped gable roofs. Cruciform plan: 3 bay chancel; central tower surmounted by a tall spire; north and south transepts of one bay each; 2 bay north and south porches. Decorated style. Moulded string round the building at window cill level, buttresses on all sides, diagonal to porches. Windows of flowing tracery and of 2 lights except east window which is 5 lights and the 3-light windows of the north and south transepts. The window on the west end of nave has geometrical tracery. Tower and spire: 2 stages with moulded string between and embattled parapet with string below and decayed head-gargoyles at the angles. The ringing chamber has 2, small, trefoiled-openings on the south, and the bell-chamber a pointed window of 2, trefoiled-lights with quatrefoil tracery in each wall. An octagonal stair turret on the north-west corner. Octagonal spire with weathercock, and with large, stone, lucarnes at the foot, in its cardinal faces. Chancel: north wall has 2 windows. To the left of these, a doorway, now blocked, with trefoiled head. East wall has a 5-light window and the south wall 3 windows. North transept: a 3-light window on the north wall, and a 2-light window in the east and west walls. South transept: (now a vestry and organ chamber) windows similar to north transept. Nave: north and south fronts similar with two, 2-light windows in each with an entrance porch between. Porches similar with pointed openings with continuously moulded jambs in their gable walls and small ogee-trefoiled lights in the side walls. The western end of the nave contains a larger doorway with similar detail, with a 3-light window over. Interior. plastered. Collar purlin roofs with plain crown posts braced 4 ways. Chancel has barrel roof. On the south wall of the chancel is a piscina with credence bracket and cinquefoiled basin in range with 3 sedilia, with trefoiled, ogee heads, cusped panels in the spandrels. The backs of the sedilia are panelled, and are carried up into mock vaulted heads. There is another piscina in the south transept, with a trefoiled-ogee head, and a cinquefoiled basin above which is a credence shelf. C14 otagonal font with crocketed and pinnacled buttresses at the angles, panelled sides with trefoiled-ogee heads having crocketed labels surmounted by carved finials. C19 pulpit. Monuments: a fine C14 double tomb recess in the north transept, across the whole of the north wall, cut in chalk and stone, with a panelled base and embattled cornice. Built against the north wall of the chancel is a long alabaster box in the shape of a coffin in which lies the carved figure of a man, wearing a long garment and holding his hands in prayer. On the top are 2 brasses with inscriptions in Latin. Brasses: large late C14 in floor of nave with the full length figure of a priest and a layman, under 2 crocketed and finialled canopies having pinnacled buttresses on either side. Of similar date are the remains of a large brass in the floor of the north transept with the figure of a woman in the centre wearing a loose flowing dress. In the north-east corner of the floor in the north transept, a brass inscribed in black letters to Richard Gyll; above the inscription is a figure of a man standing with his hands in prayer, wearing early C16 armour. Also in the floor of the north transept is a brass to Thames Noke d.1567 and his 3 wives, with an inscription in black letters. Glass: some original pieces in the north-east window of the chancel and in the west window of the same wall is a shield on a background of black and white flowered glass. The head of the west window in the north transept is also original and contains a quartered shield of France and England. The east window is by Hardman. V.C.H. Vol.III p.167-170 with illustrations. B.O.E. (Berkshire p.216)

Listing NGR: SU8415077115

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Berkshire - Date: 1975 - Page References: 216
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Ditchfield, P H and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire - Date: 1923

National Grid Reference: SU 84146 77103

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 08:17:09.