List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OCKWELLS MANOR AND WALL ATTACHED ON THE SOUTH EAST

List entry Number: 1319434

Location

OCKWELLS MANOR AND WALL ATTACHED ON THE SOUTH EAST, OCKWELLS ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Windsor and MaidenheadUnitary AuthorityCox Green

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 41080

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRAY OCKWELLS ROAD SU 87 NE (south side, off) 9/6 Cox Green Ockwells Manor and wall 25.3.55 attached on the south east

G.V. I Large manor house and attached wall, now large house in landscaped setting. Built for Sir John Norrey between 1446 and 1466. Extended and altered C16, C17. Restored and extended C19 by Fairfax Wade. Restored again in 1986 by O Mansfield Thomas and Partners of Hertfordshire. Timber frame with part rendered infill, but with mostly brick infill, some in herringbone pattern. Part brick. Old tile gabled roofs of different heights. Small central courtyard with cloisters on 2 sides. Hall of 4 framed bays, screens passage and porch on the east side; 3-framed bay solar crosswing on the north. Former servants and service wing of 6 framed bays on the south, and an additional former kitchen wing of 4 framed bays on the west. C19 extension projecting at right angles on the north. Former Chapel attached on the south east corner of which now only one wall remains (q.v.). Mostly 2 storeys, part 2 storeys and attics. 7 large chimneys with offset heads and clay pots, 2 chimneys with clustered shafts on the C19 extension. Diamond-leaded casement windows with diamond mullions, some are C17, most are C19 and C19 restorations. Entrance (east) front: timber frame exposed with some replacements; brick herringbone infill. Hall in centre with a gable on each side, each with bargeboards carved with intricate pierced and foliated ornament; traceried panelling above moulded tie-beams. Gable on left has a C19 elaborated traceried 8-light oriel window with single-light returns. Below this is a 4-light window. Gable on right has a full-height C19 canted bay window with a 6-light window on both floors of similar design to the oriel window in the left bay. The centre section contains a 10-light Window to the hall at high level; to the right of this is a gabled bay with 2 levels of 6-light windows lighting the high end of the hall. On the left is a 2-storey, gabled, wide entrance porch with a 4-light window on the first floor and a 4-centred wooden arch below with carved spandrels. The entrance door is set back and is the original with wide planks, original large strap hinges and large rimlock. Both gables in the centre section are smaller and have bargeboards of similar design to the outer gables. The south and west fronts are plainer and irregular, with the timber frame mostly exposed. The C19 extension is in Tudor style. Interior: the room divisions and spaces have been very little altered from the original and have a fine quality timber frame exposed throughout with much of the C15 work remaining. Queen post roof trusses with clasped purlins visible in most rooms on first floor, complete with wide rafters and curved windbraces. 2 bays of a redundant crown post roof with side purlins to a former ante-chamber on the north side of the courtyard. Hall: moulded, arch-bracketed collar roof with curved windbraces and moulded wall plates. The lower part of the walls are lined with C17 panelling and the former dais level is indicated by the flooring height of the gabled hall window. The upper part of this window, and the other windows on the east side of the hall, curtain 18 very fine armorials. One the west side in the second bay from the north is a C15 stone fireplace with a 4-centred arch within a square head containing a casement moulding flanked by engaged shafts with moulded caps and bases, and with a continued moulding forming a cornice. The screens passage is on the south; planked screens with plain cills and rails and uprights with hollow-chamfered angles inclosing narrow panels. Above this is a panelled front to a gallery. The lower panels on the service side of the screens passage have cinquefoil heads. On the south side of the passage there are 2 doors, each with moulded posts and a 4-centred head with traceried spandrels. On each floor of the former solar block there is a stone fireplace and full-height wall panelling, all of the mid to late C16. The former kitchen still retains the original buttery hatch facing the courtyard; with a large plank falling flap, large strap hinges and stays. There are 2 staircases. The staircase on the south is probably C15 and is a straight flight between two walls and has no balusters. The principal staircase is on the north and at the west end of the solar wing. It is early C17, but much restored, and has moulded strings; raking, turned, balusters; large square newels surmounted by heavy finials. VCH, Vol. III, pp 93-96 with illustrations, B.O.E. (Berkshire), pp 187-189.

Listing NGR: SU8748778887

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Berkshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 187-189
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Ditchfield, P H and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire - Date: 1906 - Volume: 3 - Page References: 93-96

National Grid Reference: SU 87503 78886

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2014 at 06:14:36.