List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HALL PLACE

List entry Number: 1319394

Location

HALL PLACE, BURCHETTS GREEN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Windsor and MaidenheadUnitary AuthorityHurley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 40881

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 8281-8381 HURLEY BURCHETTS GREEN ROAD (west side, off) Burchetts Green

19/1 Hall Place 25.3.55 G.V. I

Large country house in parkland, now the Berkshire College of Agriculture. Built 1728-1735 for William East, on the site of a late C17 house of which only a small part remains in the south wing. Altered and extended mid to late C20. Brick, stone dressings, slate hipped roofs of different heights. Symmetrical plan with nearly square centre section and balancing wings projecting forward on each side. Centre section 3 storeys and basement, one-storey blocks with basements link the 2-storey wings to the centre section. Entrance, east front: centre section: stone string at ground floor, stone blocking course, frieze and moulded cornice forming parapet on all 4 sides, breaking out over pilasters at the angles. End chimneys. 7 bays. Sash windows with glazing bars, shorter on 2nd floor, in reveals, stone cills, gauged arches with keystones. Entrance: large double-doors, now part glazed; door-case with panelled pilasters, leaf and scroll capitals, and moulded cornice and pediment; approached by a flight of 7 stone steps with stone base balustrade and coping each side. Linking blocks: stone string running through with string on centre section. Plain stone frieze below panelled brick parapet. 3 bays. Similar windows to centre section. Wings: stone string midway between ground and first floor, 6-bay return fronts to linking blocks. Similar sash windows, very tall at ground floor level. Right-hand wing: 2 bays on west front, similar sash windows at first floor, none at ground floor. Left-hand wing: 4 bays. One sash window on right on first floor, other openings blind. South front of this wing contains parts of the older : building and is as follows: rendered ground floor, stone string over, brick and parapet above. 5 bays. Sash windows with glazing bars, gauged arches and keystones on first floor. 3 semi- circular arched openings forming loggia on ground floor with semicircular-headed sash windows either side; thick glazing bars; the one on the right partly altered to form door. At the back of the loggia is a glazed garden double-door with bars in a door-case of panelled pilasters with leaf capitals and scrolls; moulded frieze and scrolled pediment. Raised stone terrace at front, approached by flight of 7 stone steps; moulded piers at foot. Interior: richly ornate stucco-work in drawing room and ante-room on walls, ceilings and chimney pieces, and on the chimney pieces in the library and dining room. This work is thought to be by the Italians, Artari and Vassali. Entrance hall: entablature with pulvinated frieze to entrance doors, large carved stone fireplace and chequered marble floor. Principal's office (former morning room): pine panelling, fine door-cases with eared architraves, moulded cornices and 6-panelled doors. Cornice with chevron ornament. Reception (former library): boldly carved entablature with egg and dart ornament, enriched panelling, dado and window shutters. 2 door-cases with carved oak-leaf friezes. Baroque chimney piece with moulded marble fireplace, richly ornate stucco overmantel with central relief panel depicting the Sacrifice of Iphigenia. Library (former drawing room): 3 Palladian-style Corinthian door-cases. Richly decorated stuccoed walls and ceiling; on the end walls are large panels with entwined dolphins; on the east wall, panels framing swags, cartouches and masks, with 2 larger panels with festooning ornament enclosing 2 portrait busts. Fine ceiling with cornice of shell and acanthus leaf ornament. Chimney piece with marble fireplace; overmantel with canopy of drapery and baroque scrolls; and with a medallion bust of Queen Caroline. Salter Chalker room (former ante-room): One door-case of the Doric Order. Stuccoed ceiling with Doric entablature. Palladian-style chimney piece with pedimented marble fireplace, overmantel with flat top and an eagle on each side. Students' Common Room (former dining room): painted ceiling with moulded and dentilled cornice; leaf-scroll ornament. Chimney piece with marble fireplace and overmantel with baroque scrolls surmounted by lions, flanking a phoenix on the pediment. In the centre a large relief of Campaspe's portrait by Apelles. On each side of the fireplace and let into the wall is a small panel of scagliola, depicting groups of figures. The house is approached on the east by a long avenue of lime trees. Of the 4 original avenues, 2 others remain on the north and south; all pre-date the house and are thought to have been planted by Sir Jacob Bancks, a native of Stockholm, who came to live in England in 1681 , and built an earlier house on the site.

V.C.H. Vol.III. p.153 B.O.E. (Berkshire) p. 150. C.L. March 5th 1938 and March 12th 1938.

Listing NGR: SU8334881883

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 153
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 150
'Country Life' in 5 March, (1938)
'Country Life' in 12 March, (1938)

National Grid Reference: SU 83348 81883

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 03:26:33.