List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1319071

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WokinghamUnitary AuthorityRemenham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Dec-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 41276

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

REMENHAM REMENHAM VILLAGE SU 78 SE 1/3 CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS 26.1.67 G.V. II Parish Church. C14 rebuilt in 1838 on site of old church and completely restored 1870-1872 by Ronald Plumbe. Flint with stone dressings, tile roof. 3 bay nave, apsidal chancel, west tower, vestries added 1892 on north side of chancel, south aisle porch and organ chamber 1870. Tower, 2 stages, deep string course and embattled parapet, octagonal buttresses at angles of diapered stone and flint work. North wall of nave contains at east end an early C14 chalk window with 2 trefoil lights with flowing tracery under pointed head and the design of this is repeated in the windows of the rebuilding. Arcade of 3 pointed arches on circular pillars on south of nave, principal doorway at west end of south wall. Stained glass in the apse by Kempe and an elaborate iron screen Cl870 with vine trails presented by Sir John Noble, at one time owner of Park Place. Monuments: 3 remain from old church; under the bell tower on the north wall a brass to Thomas Maryat died 1591 of Vine Place, later Park mace, and a brass to John Newman, pastor, 1622 on south wall. A scroll pediment on north wall of nave to the Reverend Griffeths Gunnis, 1727. V.C.H. Vol.III p.162. B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.208.

Listing NGR: SU7707684164

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Berkshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 208
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Ditchfield, P H and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire - Date: 1906 - Volume: 3 - Page References: 162

National Grid Reference: SU 77076 84164

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2014 at 10:48:30.