List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF SAINTS PETER AND PAUL

List entry Number: 1319069

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF SAINTS PETER AND PAUL, UPTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BuckinghamshireAylesbury ValeDistrict AuthorityDinton-with-Ford and Upton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 43099

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 71 SE DINTON-WITH-FORD AND UPTON ROAD, Dinton UPTON (south side)

3/162 Parish Church of Saints Peter and Paul 21.12.67

GV I

Parish church. C12 (south doorway), c1230 chancel, c1240 south aisle and south arcade, nave north wall c1400, south aisle widened and west tower added C15. South porch c1500. Chancel lengthened by 3m. 1868. 3 bay chancel, 5 bay nave with south aisle, south porch and west Tower. Coursed rubblestone with stone dressings. Chancel roof has old tiles, nave, aisle and tower have lead roofs. Chancel has lancet windows, a triplet at east end and 3 to north and south walls. Moulded abacus string continues as hood over windows. Nave has crenellated parapet. South clerestory has 3 quatrefoil windows. South aisle has coped parapet. East window C15 3 trefoil lights and tracery in 2 centred head. South wall has two 3-cinquefoil light windows under flat head either side of gable south porch. Then to west 2 trefoil lights with quatrefoil in 2 centred head. 3 ogee lights with tracery in 4-centred head to west wall. Nave north wall has to east 2-light trefoils under flat head, 3 west windows of 3 cinquefoil lights under flat heads. Weathered buttresses between and to south aisle. West tower has 2 stages, the lower with weathered angle buttresses. Crenellated parapets and octagonal south east stair turret. Small trefoil lights to ringing chamber, 2-trefoil lights with quatrefoil and 2 centre arches to belfry windows. West door C13 of 3 moulded orders, the outer 2 with jamb shafts with moulded caps and bases. Above is C15 window of 3 cinquefoil lights and tracery under 4 centred head. South porch has angle buttresses and pointed arch of 2 chamfered orders in square head. In side walls single trefoil lights under square heads. South doorway into church c1140 with splendid Romanesque ornament. 2 order jambs, inner hollow chamfered with stylised beak-head, outer order with spiral banded shafts on moulded bases with scallop capital on left bird on right, cable necks and chip carved abaci. Arch has interlace frieze to tympanum, bowtel and hollow chamfer to outer order. Then continuous third order with chevron and billet. Lintel carved with Dragon and St. Michael, tympanum with tree and monsters eating appl es. Above lintel is latin inscription. Porch roof c1500 queen struts to collar cambered tie beams and chamfered purlin braces. Moulded purlins, trusses and wall plates. Interior: south east lancet has splays lowered to form seat. Tall blank recess between east lancets. Trefoil head piscina. Squint from south east chapel. Chancel arch of 3 chamfered orders. Moulded semi-octagonal caps and bases to semi-octagonal responds. Nave north side has wall divided by semi-octagonal pilasters with chamfered caps and bases, resting on continuous wall bench. Pilasters support roof tie beams; off centre doorway in centre bay. South side has arcade of 2 chamfered orders on octagonal piers with moulded bell capitals and bases. Moulded labels on both. Some of wall above arcades probably C12. Stone head corbels to east bay, timber moulded to other bays support wall posts. South aisle roof on plain corbels. Tower arch 2-centred of 3 chamfered orders dying into straight jambs. C19 wagon roof to chancel. Font. C14 circular cup shaped bowl, fluted, with trefoil heads to fluting, moulded rim and band of quatrefoil panels to frieze. Pulpit. Panelled Jacobean on stone base. Monuments. In tower: north side Richard Sergeant 1668. altar tomb with Ionic columns, pediment and entablature supporting urn. South side Richard Ingoldsby 1703. Wall tablet with putti to left and right, curtains, segmental cornice,escutcheon and foliage. Nave north wall: wall tablet to Simon Mayne 1787 oval marble on black oval, shield above. Also Elizabeth Vanhattern 1764, and John Vanhattern 1747 which is tablet flanked by Corinthian pilasters, arms above. In tower mural tablet to Jane Serjeant. 1681, inscription and shield with arms. Brasses. In chancel floor of C15 and C16. RCHMI. 123. MON.1.

Listing NGR: SP7668211070

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South - Date: 1912 - Volume: 1 - Page References: 123

National Grid Reference: SP 76683 11069

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 06:17:17.