List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

List entry Number: 1319026

Location

CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, STRICKLANDGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaSouth LakelandDistrict AuthorityKendal

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Jan-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 75509

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 5193 SW KENDAL STRICKLANDGATE (West side)

4/164 Church of St Thomas

G.V. II

Church; built to provide increased church accommodation within the Parish. 1835 by George Webster; consecrated 5th July 1837. Later additions and alterations. Orientated north-east/south-west with altar at latter end; description applies liturgical orientation, with altar at east end. Snecked rubble on chamfered plinth; gabled tops to stepped buttresses between bays. Parapet, castellated to 1st and 6th bays and tower. Graduated slate roof. Integral west tower with aisleless nave and chancel; octagonal vestry adjoins north side. 4-stage tower: Triple lancets to ground floor (single lancet to either side in adjoining bays); 3 stepped lancets to 2nd stage; clock (from Old Town Hall) to 3rd stage; paired lancet belfry openings to 4th stage. 6-bay nave with single projecting bay to either side of chancel; paired lancets to side walls, 3 stepped lancets to east end. Main entrance on north side, through single-storey hall, added late C20 (of no interest). Interior extensively remodelled.

Listing NGR: SD5137393149

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 51373 93149

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 01:41:34.