List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY AND ST.GEORGE

List entry Number: 1318999

Location

CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY AND ST.GEORGE, NEW ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaSouth LakelandDistrict AuthorityKendal

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Jan-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 75467

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for the following:-

SD 5192 NE KENDAL

8/124 NEW ROAD (North side) Church of Holy Trinity & St George

II The grade shall be amended to read II* (star)

------------------------------------

SD 5192 NE KENDAL NEW ROAD (North side)

8/124 Church of Holy Trinity & St George

II

Roman Catholic church. 1835 by George Webster; sculpture by Thomas Duckett. Opened for service 1837. Orientated south-east/north-west with altar at latter end; description applies liturgical orientation with altar at east end. Front: Hammer-dressed ashlar on chamfered plinth with chamfered strings; stepped buttress to each corner, and octagonal buttress to either side of projecting central bay, all terminating in pinnacles. Castellated parapet and apex cross. Sides: Hammer-dressed limestone blocks on chamfered plinth. Rear: Slobbered rubble. Graduated slate roofs; corbelled eaves. 6-bay aisleless nave with porch projecting to west and chancel to east. Early English exterior. Front: Stone steps up to studded, plank door with pointed head under hoodmould: 3 stepped lancets above and single lancet in bay to either side. Statue of st George and Dragon in gable niche. 6 lancets under hoodmould on south return; shorter eastern one has door with pointed head below. 3 stepped lancets to chancel with single lancet in bay to either side. Interior: Enclosed porch under western gallery/organ loft, with panelled front, supported on arcade of 4-centred arches carried between slender, clustered columns. High altar in splayed recess with crocketed hoodmould to pointed head; columns to reveals carry soffit ribs with panelling between. Life-size statue in niche on either side set within crocketed gabled surround; left-hand statue Ecce Homo, right-hand St George (after Donatello). 5 roof trusses have wooden brackets, on corbels, supporting tie-beam with pierced trefoil-headed arcade infill above. Cast-iron chancel rail with pierced trefoil-headed panels; octagonal wooden pulpit with carved panels in front of rail to left. Octagonal stone font in pierced wooden enclosure on north side under gallery. Small octagonal marble Holy-water stoup, on wooden plinth to either side of entrance, signed by Sylvester Mooney; one dated 1836 and the other 1837. Good late C19/early C20 stained glass; some re-used C17 (Flemish?) stained glass panels in porch windows.

Listing NGR: SD5173592761

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 51735 92761

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 12:45:33.