List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MORLEY'S HALL

List entry Number: 1318255

Location

MORLEY'S HALL, MORLEY'S LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiganMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213522

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TYLDESLEY MORLEY'S LANE SJ 69 NE (south side) 6/53 Morley's Hall 18/7/66 II* 2 houses. Largely C19 but incorporating some C16 and C17 timber-framing. Brick with slate and graduated stone slate roof. U-shaped range of various builds and dates. The front is of 4 bays with wings projecting to either side. Generally the left hand house is later; it uses Flemish bond brick and includes a symmetrically-fronted house with central door with fanlight and impost capitals, two 3-light transomed casement windows with flat brick arches and stone sills on each floor, and gable chimney stacks. The bay to its left includes an unusually wide cambered brick arch over a window. The right-hand house includes the earlier work. Generally it has a lower and steeper roof and is in English garden wall bond brick. Earlier stone walling at rear and in gable of wing. A door at the angle is flanked to left by a 3-light window (as above) with a cambered brick arch on each floor. Similar door and windows to wing. The rear, part of which is pebble-dashed, has various casement windows. Ridge chimney stacks. Interior: much of the timber- framing and floor beams with double-stepped stops remain. Posts in bay 4 rise to carry 2 heavily moulded-cambered tie-beam roof trusses one of which has a carved rosette on the underside. Both formerly had arch braces and formed a feature of a former open hall. The braces were removed when a floor was inserted. Moated site, formerly the home of the Tyldesleys, later a meeting place for recusants and in 1641 the home of Ambrose Barlow. Victoria County History of Lancashire, 1907. N.G. Philip, Views of Old Halls in Lancashire and Cheshire, 1893.

Listing NGR: SJ6895899261

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Philip, NG - Title: Views of Old Halls in Lancashire and Cheshire - Date: 1893
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Farrer, W and Brownbill, J - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster - Date: 1906

National Grid Reference: SJ 68958 99261

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2014 at 07:22:14.