List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HYDE HALL

List entry Number: 1318129

Location

HYDE HALL, TOWN LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
TamesideMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212712

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DENTON TOWN LANE SJ 99 SW (south-east side)

7/56 Hyde Hall 27/11/67

G.V. II*

House, now farmhouse. Late C16 with porch dated 1625 and additions to right of C18. Timber framed and roughly dressed stone but largely rendered. Brick addition and graduated stone slate roof. T-shaped 2-storey plan with 2-storey porch to cross-passage and 1-bay brick addition. Gabled crosswing projects front and rear. 2-storey porch within angle has moulded segmental-headed outer doorway, Tudor-arched inner door, 1625 date plaque below Hyde coat of arms, 5-light mullion and transom first floor window, moulded band, sundial and cornice. The hall (left) has 2 weathered buttresses and 2 cross windows with segmental heads. 6-light mullion and transom first floor window and coved eaves. Similar 6 and 7-light windows to crosswing which has a later door. Left gable exposes square-panel timber framing and has a small 2-storey gabled wing. The rear has a similar door, a buttress, a 4-light mullion window and coved eaves but the principal feature is the 2-storey bay to the upper end of the hall. It has coved jetties at first floor and eaves levels, corner posts with carved capitals, a 3-light mullion and transom ground floor window and 10-light window the full width of the upper level. The crosswing has a C20 door on ground floor, an enlarged first floor window and an owl hole within the gable. Total of 3 ridge chimney stacks, the principal one having 2 diagonally set brick shafts. All of the early windows have diamond section timber mullions and leaded casements. Interior: A large inglenook fireplace with chamfered bressumer beam backs onto the cross passage which retains studded oak doors at each end. The hall, as well as the chamber above, are entirely panelled, in some parts the panels having Jacobean enrichment.Chamfered ceiling beams and cross-beams have stepped stops. Plain staircase inserted into cross passage. The house is an important survival in terms of its plan; its timber framing in the north-west tradition and its well preserved internal features. C19 engraving in J. Booker, A History of the ancient chapel of Denton.

Listing NGR: SJ9180594273

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Booker, J - Title: A History of the Ancient Chapel of Denton

National Grid Reference: SJ 91805 94273

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 08:15:53.