List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: EDENFIELD PARISH CHURCH

List entry Number: 1318084

Location

EDENFIELD PARISH CHURCH, MARKET STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LancashireRossendaleDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Aug-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 185713

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RAMSBOTTOM

255/9/136 MARKET STREET 09-AUG-1966 EDENFIELD PARISH CHURCH GV II* Church, 1778, with tower dated 1614. Watershot coursed sandstone, slate roof. West tower, 2-storey nave, short rectangular apse. Very simple rectangular tower of coursed rubble with short diagonal buttresses at west corners, square window openings at 2nd stage anciently blocked, that on south side incorporating a stone with raised lettering "LH 1614", square belfry louvres, small battlements. In angle with nave a single storey hipped-roof addition housing staircase. Six-bay nave has on south sides low buttress at west end, doorway with plain surround next to it, similar doorway at east end, 5 round-headed ground floor windows with keystones on the massive rectangular heads and 5 square lst floor windows, all these with glazing bars and very small panes; in centre of 1st floor a square wall sundial lettered S. AITKEN (LAT.53,37N)C.WARDEN at the head with 1826 on the face and in a descending semi-circle the legend TEMPUS EDAX RERUM EST. North side has matching windows, 6 at ground floor and 5 above. Apse has Venetian window, a datestone over it inscribed GR III 1778; end wall has one square 1st floor window each side of apse, small round-headed window above it. INTERIOR: 3-sided panelled gallery on slim iron columns, 1811(the south side shortened in 1910 when the new organ was placed at the south east corner of the nave). Box pews in both aisles probably also early C19; benches in centre, 1870; flat ceiling carried on tie beams, with shallow iron braces in angles with exposed ends of trusses; various wall tablets, mostly C19. This church is significant for its tower of 1614, and as a rare example of an C18 chapel of ease with an early C19 gallery and some box pews still in situ.

Listing NGR: SD7985819809

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 79858 19809

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 01:15:14.