List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1317937

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LancashireLancasterDistrict AuthorityCockerham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 182131

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 45 SE COCKERHAM

12/58 Church of St. Michael 2.5.1968

GV II*

Church, 1910 by Austin & Paley, with C16th west tower ('1589' said to be inscribed on beam from tower). Snecked sandstone rubble with ashlar tower and slate roof. Comprises a west tower, a nave with clearstorey and a chancel under a continuous roof, north and south aisles, and south transept with vestry. The 3-stage tower has diagonal buttresses, a stair turret on the south side, and an embattled parapet. The bell openings are each of 3 pointed lights under a Tudor-arched head with hood. The west window is similar. The west doorway has a round arch, hollow chamfered in 2 orders. The aisle and clearestory windows have flat heads and cusped lights. On the south side the aisle and clearstorey each have 4 2-light windows, the 2 western aisle windows being paired. On the north side there are 4 nave bays with similar windows. The western bay of the chancel is aisled and has a 3-light window. Its eastern bay has a 6-light mullioned and transomed window. The doorway, in the western nave bay, has a porch-like ashlar surround of shallow projection and is moulded with pointed head and hood. The east window, flanked by buttresses with offsets, has 4 cusped lights under a pointed head with Perpendicular tracery and ogee quatrefoils. Interior has 5-bay nave arcades with pointed arches hollow-chamfered in 2 orders and piers with 8 sides, 4 concave on plan, and no capitals. The tower opening has plain reveals and a high pointed arch. Between nave and chancel there is no arch, but the piers are round. Above them attached shafts on corbels support the roof truss. The 2 bays of the chancel arcades have a round pier with capital on the north and a pier with 4 of its 8 sides ovolo-moulded to the south. The piscina and twin sedilia have depressed ogee heads. The roof trusses have braced tie beams, queen posts, and raking queen struts. Intermediate trusses have arch-braced collars. Wall tablets re-set from the previous church include one in the gothic style to James Clarke (d.1845) by F. Webster of Kendal, and the Creed and Lord's prayer in an elaborate gothic frame. The east window contains figures of the 4 evangelists dating from 1865.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 46256 51864

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 03:20:09.