List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: QUERNMORE PARK

List entry Number: 1317735

Location

QUERNMORE PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LancashireLancasterDistrict AuthorityQuernmore

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Mar-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 182240

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 56 NW QUERNMORE

5/176 Quernmore Park (Formerly listed as Quernmore 4-10-1967 Park, Hall)

- II*

Country house, 1795-8, probably by Thomas Harrison, remodelled by Alexander Mills in 1842. Sandstone ashlar with hipped slate roof. A symmetrical composition with a main block linked to pavilions set back on each side. Main block of 3 storeys, and 5 bays on north, south and east sides. Windows sashed with glazing bars and plain ashlar reveals. 1st floor sill band. Cornice with blocking course. East front has tetrastyle Ionic portico added by Mills. Links each of one storey and 3 bays, with blank niches over the windows, which are sashed with glazing bars, except for the middle window of the north link which is now unglazed. The pavilions are of one bay and 2 storeys each and have pedimented gables and 1st floor sill bands. Their ground-floor windows are tripartite with baseless Doric columns as mullions. The southern pavilion has sashed windows Doric columns as mullions. The southern pavilion has sashed windows, the 1st floor sill now lowered. The northern pavilion, in a derelict condition, has sashed windows with glazing bars. Inside, Mills created a 2-storey central hall with Grecian plasterwork. On the ground floor are pilasters, above are columns and pilasters, and openings to a landing. Above is a lantern and coved ceiling. Drawings of proposed alterations by Mills are in the Lancashire Record Office.

Listing NGR: SD5165262767

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 51652 62767

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 06:16:00.