List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW

List entry Number: 1317596

Location

CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityBillingborough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 194233

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BILLINGBOROUGH CHURCH LANE TF 1034-1134 (south side) 4/19 Church of St. Andrew 30.10.68 G.V. I

Parish church. C14, late C15, restored c.1868 and 1891. Coursed limestone and ironstone rubble, limestone ashlar. Slate roofs with decorative ridge tiles and stone coped east chancel gable and battlemented east nave gable with cross finial. North-west tower with spire, nave with north and south aisles, south porch and chancel with small projecting organ chamber. Mid C14 north- west tower with moulded plinth and string courses, 4 stage buttresses with gabled upper stages. South-west buttress contains polygonal stair turret with 4 slit stair lights. Pointed west window with chamfered surround, 2 cusped ogee headed lights, daggered quatrefoil and hood mould. Slit light above on west, north and south sides. Clock above on west and east sides. Moulded string course defines bell stage. Bell openings on all 4 sides each a pointed opening with double chamfered surround, 2 cusped ogee headed lights, daggered quatrefoil and hood mould. Moulded eaves above with 2 large gargoyles on each side and smaller sculptural motifs. Battlements above and 4 ornate corner pinnacles from which spring cusped flyers supporting an octagonal recessed spire with 3 tiers of ornate lucarnes on alternating sides and finial. West front of c.1300 to south of tower with moulded plinth and string courses. Large pointed west window with 4 ogee headed lights, reticulated tracery and hood mould. Shallow battlemented gable above. West front of south aisle of c.1300 with moulded plinth and string course. Pointed west window with mid C14 tracery with 3 cusped, pointed lights, a large quatrefoil with four long concave sided barbs and hood mould. Battlements above. Early C14 north aisle with moulded plinth and string courses. Pointed doorway to west with richly moulded, continuous surround, hood mould and plank door. 2 windows to east with pointed heads, 3 cusped pointed lights, geometric tracery restored in C19 and hood mould. Moulded eaves and later C14 battlements above. East end of north aisle with pointed head, 2 trefoil headed lights with 3 trefoils above and hood mould. Moulded eaves and battlements above. Immediately to left is the gabled roof line of original chancel. C15 clerestory of 6 triangular headed windows each with 3 cusped lights, those flanking central pointed light with triangular heads, hood moulds. Moulded eaves, battlements and corner pinnacles above. Chancel of 1891 with plinth and moulded string course. Gabled, slightly projecting, organ chamber on north side, with small pierced quatrefoil. Single lancet to east. East end with 3 stage angle buttresses and moulded string course rising to run beneath pointed window with 3 cusped ogee headed lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Quatrefoil in gable. South side of chancel with 2 pointed windows divided by 3 stage buttress, each with 2 pointed, cusped lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Pointed doorway immediately to left of buttress, with continuous moulded surround, hood mould and plank door. East end of early C14 south aisle with moulded plinth and string course. Pointed east window with mid C14 tracery with 3 cusped, pointed lights, a large quatrefoil with 4 long concave sided barbs and hood mould. Moulded eaves and battlements. South side of aisle with 2 pointed windows each with mid C14 tracery with 3 cusped, pointed lights, a large quatrefoil with 4 long concave sided barbs and hood mould. C14 gabled porch with angle buttresses and single 2 light mullion windows in east and west sides. Pointed south doorway with continuous double chamfered surround. Porch interior with flanking stone benches and early C14 south doorway with richly moulded head including filleted rolls, jambs with 2 filleted rolls and rich moulding in between, hood mould and double plank doors. Small rectangular niche above. Tie beam porch roof including beam inscribed 1679 THST. Pointed window to west of porch with 3 lancets and hood mould. C15 clerestory above with 8 triangular headed windows each with 3 cusped lights, those flanking central pointed light with triangular heads, hood mould. Mid C14 tower arches to north aisle and nave with triple chamfered, pointed heads with hood moulds; triple rolled jambs with central fillets and moulded capitals. Octopartite ribbed vault inside tower with central oculus. Early C14 3 bay north arcade and 4 bay south arcade with double chamfered, pointed heads, hood moulds and heads in spandrels in north aisles. Quatrefoil piers with 4 filleted shafts and moulded capitals. Early C14 chancel arch with pointed, double chamfered head and hood mould, 3 roll moulded jambs with filleted central roll. C19 piscina in south wall of chancel with rectangular head filled with cusped tracery. South aisle of nave with C14 trefoil headed piscina, with pointed aumbry above with hinged door. Fragmentary Lord's Prayer board above. C19 reredos, altar rail, pews, lectern and pulpit. C15 octagonal font with tall octagonal pedestal and plain basin with hood with angel dated 1942. Medieval fragments of stained glass in south-east window of south aisle, including haloed figure in yellow robe. C15 north aisle roofs, other roofs C19, but with 5 C15 roof corbels in nave. Monuments include 2 grey and white plaques to John Tavers, died 1802 and John Essington, died 1719; white marble sepulchre shaped monument to Thomas Strathan, died 1846; ornate white cartouche with ribbons to Robert Kelham, died 1752, with Latin inscription; a white and grey marble monument to John Saywell, died 1777; a white marble monument on black ground with urn and draperies to Mary Wayet, died 1831; black oval plaque above containing white marble oval to John Greenham, died 1793; white marble monument streaked with grey with coat of arms on apron, to Josephius Burton, died 1761; 3 white and grey plaques with triangular heads to Thomas Buckberry, died 1828, Mary Buckberry, died 1809 and Elizabeth Mason, died 1810; a black and white marble monument to Robert Nicholls, died 1848; 2 diamond shaped plaques, one with lion head at apex to James Arminger (date of death illegible) and Edmund Dodsworth, died 1858; oval monument set in between to Reverend Brownlow Toller, died 1794; a grey and white marble monument to Rebecca Thomas, died 1838; a white marble monument on black field to William Westmorland, died 1828; a white and grey monument to another William Westmorland, died 1819 and a white marble monument to Philippa Foulkes, died 1840. Several early C19 monuments recording charitable bequests.

Listing NGR: TF1178834244

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 11788 34244

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 09:05:51.