List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1317573

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireSouth CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityOrwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52319

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ORWELL HIGH STREET TL 3650 (North side) 14/266 Church of 22.11.67 St Andrew GV I

Parish church. C12 nave and ground stage of tower, late C13 North and South nave arcades, 1398 chancel. The South aisle is late C13 and the North was rebuilt C19. Restorations of 1860 and 1883. Clunch, fieldstone and limestone. Tiled and leaded roofs. Plan of West tower, nave North and South aisles and chancel. West tower of three stages. The C12 ground stage has on the East side the quoins of the C12 nave as clasping buttresses. There are single shafts with cushion capitals to the corners of the quoins. The lancet windows were inserted in the yround stage in the C13, and the upper stages were added. C13 angle buttressing in three stages to North west and South west corners. Bell stage has on West and South sides, arcading in three bays. Continuous two-centred arches, enriched with dog tooth ornament: the other arches are blind and the inner has a two-light opening with quatrefoil to the spandrel. The West window is C16 or C17, restored. Nave, C12, originally without aisles. The North aisle was added late in C13 and the South aisle slightly later. Clerestorey, C15, restored. Fieldstone, except for clunch to C12 parts. South aisle, late C13, but restored 1883. West window early C14, of clunch with reticulated tracery. The other windows are late C14 in style and restored in Ketton limestone. The South porch was restored at the same time. The inner doorway retains a late C17 or early C18 six panelled door in two-centred arch, similar to that in the North doorway. Chancel and sacristy, by Richard Anlaby, rector, in memory of Sir Richard Burley. Clunch and fieldstone with banded tiled roof. South wall has three windows, restored, each of three lights with vertical tracery. The East window is also late C14 of five lights, restored. The North aisle was rebuilt in C19. Gault brick with reset late C17 or early C18 six panelled door. Interior: nave arcade of four bays. North arcade late C13 of two centred arches and of two chamfered orders on columns of quatrefoil section. The South arcade is slightly later and is also of four bays and two centred arches of two chamfered orders on columns of quatrefoil section. The profiles of the columns are slightly different, and there are head stops over the piers and responds. Nave roof rebuilt c.1600. Chancel arch is late C13. Two centre and of two moulded arches on piers of half-quatrefoil section. Chancel has piscina in south wall. Subcusped ogee arch with foliate ornament and finial. Aumbry in North wall with subcuped ogee arch. Wall monument in South wall: Jeremias Radcliffe, 1623, of painted clunch. A recess flanked by Ionic pilasters in four centred head has a frontal half-effigy of deceased. Ceiling, boarded. Late C14 in origin, in memory of Sir Simon Burley, reconstructed in mid C18 and repainted 1883. Square panels divided by moulded ribs with alternate carved bosses and painted shields at the intersections. Font, C13 limestone, cylindrical bowl on stem. East end of South aisle has recess with fragment of reredos. Clunch figure of Christ crucified and St John. Floor slabs reset in wall of south porch. Saxo-Norman.

R.C.H.M.: West Cambs. Non. (1) Pevsner: Buildings of England p.445 V.C.H.: Cambs. Vol. 5

Listing NGR: TL3622350474

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West - Date: 1968
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely - Date: 1973 - Volume: 5
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire - Date: 1954 - Page References: 445

National Grid Reference: TL 36223 50474

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 06:46:06.