List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1317208

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireWest LindseyDistrict AuthorityLaughton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 16-Dec-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 196833

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 89 NW LAUGHTON CHURCH ROAD

4/23 Church of All Saints 16.12.64

G.V. I

Parish Church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, with 1894 restoration and chancel rebuilding of 1894 by Bodley and Garner. Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar and lead roofs. Western tower, nave, north and south aisles, chancel, south porch and vestry. The C14 3 stage tower has a plinth, 2 moulded string courses and embattled parapet with angle and mid wall pinnacles with grotesque water chutes beneath; there are corner buttresses to 1st stage only. The pointed west door is in a moulded surround with hood mould and human head stops. To 1st floor is a C16 3 light window with concave moulded reveal and hood mould. Above this is a plain narrow light and an open face clock to 2nd stage. The belfry stage has 2 light cusped ogee headed, louvred openings with chamfered reveals, hood mould, and human head stops to each face of the tower. The north side has the stair tower in the north east angle. The north aisle has a C15 3 light window flanked by single 2 light windows with ogee heads and flat hood moulds over. The clerestorey has 3 paired lights also with flat hood moulds. The C19 vestry has a parapet, a 4 light window and a pointed doorway. In the north wall of the chancel is a 3 light C13 geometric window moved from the east end in the restoration. The east end of the chancel is blank except for an empty ogee headed niche flanked by single shields containing the sacred nomogram. The south side of the chancel is in ashlar with 3 bays, divided by buttresses, containing 3 light C19 curvilinear windows with unusual surrounds with fleurons. Beneath the windows is a priest's door. The C15 east window of the south aisle has 3 lights with trefoil heads and 2 tiers of paired mouchettes with flat hood mould and human head stops. The fenestration of the south aisle is similar to the north aisle. The clerestorey has 3 two light windows with cusped trilobe heads, flat hood moulds and chamfered reveals. The C19 porch has a stepped parapet containing an empty niche above a 3 centred arched entrance. The inner doorway is in a restored late C13 opening with angle shafts,floriate capitals, circular abaci and roll moulding to head. The hood mould is C19. Interior; the late C12 north arcade of 4 bays with the westernmost bay a nearly contemporary addition. The circular piers have curious shaped and mouldd abaci, waterleaf and other foliate capitals and double chamfered arches. The west respond is in the form of a bracket with 3 scrolled corbels, The C13 south arcade of 4 bays has octagonal piers and capitals with 2 chamfered orders. The hood mould has 2 surviving human head stops. The C14 tower arch is of 2 chamfered orders dying into its reveals. In the base of the tower is a C14 panelled door to the stairs. The chancel arch was removed during the C19 restoration. In the south aisle is a C13 half engaged pillar piscina with octagonal head and base and pointed recess. In the north aisle and chancel are C19 moulded doorways to the vestry. At the east end is a carved stone reredos with a painted panelled triptych by G. Jackson of 1903. The timber roofs date from the C19 restoration with their elaborate painted designs but the nave roof has one reused boss. The chancel screen and painted and gilded rood also date from Bodley and Garners work as do the other fittings including the fine cast iron candelabrum in the chancel. The stained glass is by Burlison and Grylls and was not completed until 1926. Monuments; in the south aisle is a roundel containing a recut female head dating to c.1300, and a C14 full length brass to a member of the D'Alison family showing the deceased in plate armour, feet on a lion, beneath an ogee canopy. The brass was reset in c.1549 above the tomb chest of William and George D'Alison. The chest has blank lozenge panels with a wide scroll along each side with a blank lead inscription. In the north aisle is a tomb to Hugo Meynell Ingrams, a marble effigy asleep by Thomas Woolner d.1874. A white marble plaque of the Meynell arms is let into the chancel floor.

Listing NGR: SK8491297300

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 84911 97300

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 12:09:44.