List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE GATE HOUSE AND STABLE RANGE TO NORTH OF NORTHBOROUGH MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1317150

Location

THE GATE HOUSE AND STABLE RANGE TO NORTH OF NORTHBOROUGH MANOR HOUSE, LINCOLN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of PeterboroughUnitary AuthorityNorthborough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 15-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Feb-1982

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 50216

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5141 NORTHBOROUGH LINCOLN ROAD The gate house and stable range to north of Northborough Manor House (formerly listed as gate house and stables at Northborough Castle Farm) TF 1507 27/428 15.12.55 GV 2. Built in 1330-40 by the de-la-Mare family. The gate house and hall (qv) is all that survives from a major manor house. There is a large C17 stable range extension to the west of the gatehouse. Coursed and squared stone with steeply pitched Collyweston stone roof with coped gable ends over the whole range. The gate house has slightly lower roof line and has large moulded and chamfered arch through. Inside there is a narrow bay formerly rib vaulted separated from the larger rib vaulted south bay by a cross wall with an arched carriageway and a pedestrian way. The C17 stables are 2 storeys and attic, 3 widely spaced bays, with 3 gabled semi-dormers and 3-light ovolo moulded mullion windows with cornices. The ground floor on the north (road facing) side has row of circular holes. The south side facing the house has 4 centred and round arched doorways. VCH Northants Vol II.

Listing NGR: TF1508007848

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Ryland, W and Adkins, D and Sejeantson, R - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Northampton - Date: 1906 - Volume: 2

National Grid Reference: TF 15080 07848

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2014 at 07:17:44.