List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1316489

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, SOUTH CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DerbyshireDerbyshire DalesDistrict AuthorityBakewell

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 468201

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BAKEWELL

SK2168 SOUTH CHURCH STREET 831-1/4/166 (North side) 13/03/51 Church of All Saints

GV I

Church, originally of collegiate status. C12 and C13 possibly incorporating some Saxon masonry; C14 and C15 additions; tower and transepts rebuilt 1841-52 by William Flockton of Sheffield who replicated the medieval design; nave arcades replaced 1852 by Weightman and Hadfield of Sheffield; chancel restored 1879-82 by Gilbert Scott the younger. North vestry 1897; most roofs C20. MATERIALS: ashlar sandstone; lead roofs. PLAN: cruciform plan having south porch to 4-bay aisled nave, 3-bay south transept with chapel in east aisle, 3-bay chancel and one-bay north transept adjoined by low north vestry. Embattled throughout. EXTERIOR: nave: offset buttresses flank C12 west door with 2 orders of colonnettes, beakhead ornament and saltire crosses; fragmentary blind arcading above has chevrons. C15 3-light west window having C19 Geometrical tracery and hoodmould. C15 south porch with diagonal buttresses, double-chamfered arch and hoodmould beneath niche; C18 oval sundial to right. Unrestored C13 inner door with dogtooth ornament. Restored C13 north door. Perpendicular clerestory lit by square-headed 2- and 3-light windows; arms of Vernon and Pype on south parapet; insignia of Thomas Haywood to north. South transept: moulded plinth, angle buttresses with offsets and gablets with fleur-de-lys. 2 south doors with clustered colonnettes beneath cusped roundel and embellished pointed arch. 4-light window over has Geometrical tracery; outer shafts rise from carved heads; hoodmould returns as a string course; octagonal corner pinnacles. West side with pilaster buttresses and lancets with hoodmoulds; carved string course beneath 3 trefoils. Lean-to east chapel with more elaborate buttresses and Decorated tracery to 3-light windows with hoodmoulds. North transept: Perpendicular 3-light window to east; 3-light window to north with Geometrical tracery; gable cross. Vestry: diagonal buttresses and central north buttress; square-headed windows of 2 and 3 lights having cusped ogee heads. Tower: octagonal belfry has string course beneath louvred 2-light openings; moulded oversailing course with gargoyles beneath embattled parapet behind which rises the octagonal



spire with weather-vane. Chancel: buttresses between bays, to the angles and to centre of east end. South-west window obscured by east chapel of south transept. Priest's door with 2-centred arch, colonnettes and hoodmould. String course with gargoyles; cross to east parapet. Restored C13 Y-tracery windows to the chancel and nave aisles. INTERIOR: C12 round arches to short west bay of nave, also similar blind arches in the west walls of the aisles; some walling above the arches may be Saxon. Remaining aisle arcades of 1852 with round piers, octagonal capitals and cavetto-moulded arches. Crossing: restored 1841-43 with tall arches having filleted shafts and colonnettes; ribbed vault. South transept (known as the Newark) c1220-1240 rebuilt 1841-52: arcade to Vernon Chapel with quatrefoiled piers having shafts in the diagonals; deeply-moulded arches. Chancel: late C13 sedilia and double piscina under linked hoodmoulds. Windows have nook shafts and rere arches. Mosaic floor of c1880. C14 octagonal font with cusped arches over whole figures. Near the font are parts of 3 medieval misericords; Royal Arms of Charles II dated 1678 and an early C19 board listing church fees. FITTINGS: stone pulpit. Brass eagle lectern. Altar and reredos in north transept by Sir Ninian Comper. Chancel woodwork of 1879-82 incorporates some medieval fragments. Canopied choir stalls; misericords and carved panels in niches adjoining the screen. Altarpiece with Crucifixion, woodcarving by Kuchemann of Battersea, 1882. Screen to Vernon Chapel C14 modified C17. Organ by Brindley and Foster of Sheffield 1883; resited and enlarged 1954, rebuilt 1989. Newark screen of 1983. In the north aisle a C15 oak parish chest and a Church Warden's Safe of 1814. MONUMENTS: of particular note the small alabaster wall monument to Sir Godfrey Foljambe and wife c1377 (east end of south aisle). Vernon Chapel: to Sir Thomas Wendesley d.1403 lying in armour on a later base. Small alabaster tomb-chest to John Vernon, d.1477. Polychromatic tomb chest to Sir George Vernon, d.1567, with 2 wives. Standing wall monument to John Manners, d.1584 and wife Dorothy Vernon; they kneel facing across a prayer desk, the children below. Large and more impressive standing monument to Sir George Manners, d.1623 and wife Grace Pierrepoint d.1650 with their children in prayer and a baby in swaddling clothes. Various plaques on west wall of south transept include several



C17 brasses; the most elaborate to William Savile, d.1658, 'Steward to the Earle of Rutland'. Various wall monuments in the chancel. STAINED GLASS: north aisle window of 1893 by Henry Holiday; another by Kempe. Chancel east window of 1892. North transept window of 1881 by Hardman. Resurrection window in Vernon Chapel, 1859 also by Hardman. South porch contains a remarkable and very important collection of Anglo-Saxon, Norman and early medieval fragments discovered during the major works of the mid C19; other fragments against west wall of north aisle. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire: Harmondsworth: 1986-: 71-74; Knighton L: Bakewell Church (Guide): 1985-).









Listing NGR: SK2155668483

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Knighton, L - Title: Bakewell Church (Guide) - Date: 1985
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Williamson, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Derbyshire - Date: 1986 - Page References: 71-74

National Grid Reference: SK 21556 68483

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 10:58:33.