List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE HALL

List entry Number: 1315187

Location

THE HALL, WHINWATH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North YorkshireHambletonDistrict AuthorityKirklington-cum-Upsland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-May-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Aug-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 332660

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KIRKLINGtON WHINWATH LANE SE 38 SW (north side, off) 6/29 The Hall 5.5.52 (formerly listed as Kirklington Hall)

GV II*

House. c1570 for Sir Christopher Wandesford, with early C18 and C19 alterations. Rubblestone, ashlar and red brick, partly rendered, Welsh slate roof. Part 2 storeys plus attics with very tall first-floor piano nobile and part 3 storeys. Roof and eaves at continuous level. 6 bays to east front, west front has scattered fenestration and gabled cross wings to each end. To north a lower 2-storey brick service wing with stone dressings. East front: quoins. Central board door under 4-centred arch, to its left are three 16-pane sashes and a small side-sliding sash with glazing bars. To right a 3-light 24-pane side-sliding sash and two 16-pane sashes. First floor: 4 left-hand bays to piano nobile have tall 18-pane sashes. 2 right-hand bays of 3 storeys with 16-pane sashes and 8-pane side-sliding sashes above them. To roof are 2 gabled dormers with side-sliding sashes. End stack to right and 2 to ridge. To left is parapeted gable with moulded coping and stone finials to bottom of gable. Left return (south side) has 2 bays, that to right wider and gabled. Side-sliding sash set in recessed and chamfered opening to ground floor left and 16-pane sash to right, above are 2 similar 18-pane sashes as those to east front. Above a moulded string course below gable which has side-sliding sash with glazing bars, plus vestiges of earlier opening above. West front: quoins. Right-hand gabled bay has 3-light stone mullion windows to ground and first floors, above in gable is a 3-light chamfered mullion and transom window. Parapeted gable, with stone finial to left and moulded coping. Left-hand gabled bay has C20 half-glazed door to left with 3-light casement to its right and a small stone mullion 2-light window to centre. First floor has central wooden mullion and transom window. To its right a 2-light stone mullion window and to its left remains of blocked original 3-light mullion and transom window. Above is a large 4-light wooden mullion and transom window. Parapeted gable above, probably rebuilt in C19. To right return on this cross wing on first-floor level is a corbelled wall set diagonally to corner with lead roof. Other bays between have full-height rendered embattled parapeted C19 addition of no special interest. Behind this addition can be seen at first- floor level a large corbelled external stack with two shafts to right, to left inside can be seen remains of corbels of similar stack. To inside returns of cross wings are 4-centred arched stone doorways. Brick service wing to north has 2 and 3-light stone mullion windows to each floor. Interior: south-west cross wing has framed newel staircase up to second floor. First floor: to south, drawing room has full set of late C16 panelling. Each panel has a fluted Doric pilasters with carved archivolt above. This is interspersed occasionally with full-height fluted pilasters. Early C18 bolection moulded fire surround set in elaborate C17 panelled overmantel with dogtooth motif to panelling and flanking fluted pilasters. To centre panel is a large coat of arms of the Earls of Huntingdon with rampant lions and helmet above. Ribbed plaster ceiling with pendants and coats of arms of the Wandesford and Bouces family, W below a frieze with arches, shells, lions and initials C E of Sir Christopher Wandesford and Elizabeth Bowes 1590. Panelling is reset but ceiling is original. Adjacent is the smoking room with an early C18 eared architraved fire surround and consoled mantelpiece. Panelled overmantel of similar date. The panelling covering the rest of the walls is C17. Above is a large heavy wooden early C18 cornice. Further to the north is a bedroom with a large early C18 glass fronted cupboard with original round- arched sash in timber architrave with tall keystone. In the attic to the north end is a short length of another plaster frieze, similar to that in south drawing room. Ground floor has several 4-centred arched stone doorcases. History: still owned by the Wandesford family. Sir Christopher. Wandesford 1592-1640 was an MP - 1621-1622 Master of the Rolls in Ireland and sworn of the Privy Council 1633 and became Lord Deputy of Ireland 1640. His second son Christopher made a Baronet in 1662. VCH, Vol I, pp 371-373.

Listing NGR: SE3153481315

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding - Date: 1925 - Volume: 1 - Page References: 371-373

National Grid Reference: SE 31534 81315

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2014 at 03:02:52.