List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TONG HALL

List entry Number: 1314140

Location

TONG HALL, TONG LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BradfordMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 337209

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5111 TONG LANE (north-west side) Tong

Tong Hall Hall SE 2130 61/109 4.9.52 I GV

2. Tong Hall still commands a fine open prospect over gently falling grounds to the west-north-west and is approached from Tong Lane by a short formal drive terminating in a circular carriage sweep in front of the principal south entrance. The Stable Court, including the Home Farm, lies discreetly at a slightly lower level to the west of the house. Associated with the Tempest family since the C15/C16, Tong Hall was rebuilt by Sir George Tempest in 1702, and is the only house of any consequence in the Bradford area to be built of brick (in part no doubt because of the proximity to Leeds). The architect who introduced this modern fashionable material was Theophilus Shelton, Lawyer and gentleman architect, resident at Heath Hall, outside Wakefield and the designer of The Butter Cross at Beverley. As completed by Shelton the house consisted of a symmetrical block of 3-storey centre with 2-storey wings with a low ashlar basement, a sophisticated elevation for 1702. In 1773 the house was enlarged, the architect apparently being one John Platt. He heightened the wings to 3-storeys and the centre received a blind attic and a pediment, probably the original one reset. Canted bay windows were added to the north front and the interior underwent some redecoration. The ashlar basement, largely concealed retains the traditional mullioned windows. Platbands to first and second floors. Two bay wings and 3 bay centre with rusticated quoins, moulded ashlar window architraves. Tong with Esholt Hall would appear to have been one of the earliest sashed houses in the county. The existing glazing bar sashes are more likely of circa 1773. The slightly projecting wings have modillion eaves cornices returned as platband with fluting and paterae across and above the blind attic storey of the centre. The tympanum of the modillion pediment has delicate corn husk festoons linking paterae and 3 swagged urns crown the pediment proper. The main entrance is an alteration of circa 1773. Crisply modelled architrave doorcase with carved consoles flanking delicate festoon frieze and carrying dentil cornice. Above however is the original, though rather weathered, Baroque achievement of the Tempest Arms. A very rare feature of the doorway is the stained glass sundial of 1709 by Henry Syles depicting the sun and the four seasons, set in the fanlight. Short flight of splayed steps leads up to doorway with scrolled out, delicate iron balustrade of circa 1773. The north front is similarly detailed with addition of the 1773 two-storey canted ashlar bays to the wings and 2 bull's eye windows flanking the central first floor window. The west side has a circa 1773 delicate Doric columned porch with similar ironwork to that on front. The interior retains much of 1702 panelling with the redecorations of 1773. Some alterations took place in 1900 when the staircase was reduced from 2 flights to one, but otherwise the interiors are entirely C18 in character. The entrance hall takes up the ground floor of the centre block to the front. The walls are lined to 3/4 height with fielded panelling capped by enriched cornice which is swept to sumptuously carved overmantel on east wall with 2 stags, floral decoration and grotesque head key beneath segmental cornice. This overmantel owes much to the engraved designs of Le Pautre and Daniel Narot. Archivolt arched doorways out of hall with large carved masques. Fine closed string staircase of elmwood the balusters rising from string with sprouting leaves to feet, moulded swept handrail. The western ground floor room has full fielded panelling in elm with inlay work to overmantel. The eastern and north front rooms have restrained decoration of circa 1773. The first floor has another fully panelled room with enriched bolection surround to overmantel. First floor room to right hand on south front has coved ceiling, central rose and panelled pilasters. Flanking windows all with stucco riceaux and grotesques in the French manner but after Beosin rather than C18 in character (could this be of 1900?). The subsidiary rooms have plain dado panelling and cornices. Side stairs dog legged with turned banisters. The interior is therefore representa- tive of the 2 periods of building with virtually no later alterations. According to "Neale's Seats" the south front bore an inscription in Latin, recording the original building of the Hall by Sir George Tempest and naming Shelton as the architect.

Listing NGR: SE2180930710

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 21809 30710

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 04:31:47.