List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HIGHLEY HALL AND BARN

List entry Number: 1314067

Location

HIGHLEY HALL AND BARN, TOWNGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CalderdaleMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Dec-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 338912

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHOUSE TOWNGATE, CLIFTON SE 12 SE (north side) 4/174 Highley Hall and Barn (formerly listed as 73 Towngate) 3.1.67 II*

House and attached barn. Dated 1632. Large finely dressed stone, stone slate roof. 2 storeys. House faces south-east and presents a symmetrical elevation of 3 bays. The outer bays have gabled porches with copings, kneelers and lantern finials to apex. Low Tudor arched lintels with spandrels. The right hand porch bears date and initials 'RH. ' Between are 3 bays of double chamfered mullioned windows of 4 lights to central bay and 3 lights to the outer bays with same over. A drip course runs between the porches rising over windows slightly dropping between. A large central well-dressed stack with weathered course and 4 coupled diagonally set flues with offsets at corners. Right hand return wall is of hammer-dressed stone and blind with coped gable with kneelers and tall lantern finial to apex. Left hand return wall faces south-west and is a point of display with dressed stone and double chamfered mullioned and transomed windows of 12 lights, with king mullion, to ground floor and 10 lights to 1st floor. Both have hoodmoulds with straight return. Over is double chamfered 2-light mullioned attic window. Coped gable lacks finial. The windows are slightly offset to accommodate front wall of barn which overlaps and is of finely dressed stone with segmental arched cart entry with composite jambs to the left of which is ½ aisle which breaks forward and has Tudor arched doorways to mistal to 2 return wall and side. Coped gables. King post truss interior with heavy tie beams. It is unusual to find a symmetrical vernacular building as early as 1630 in this region. D. Nortcliffe, Buildings of Brighouse, (Brighouse 1978), p.42.

Listing NGR: SE1595722979

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Nortcliffe, D, Buildings of Brighouse, (1978), 42

National Grid Reference: SE 15957 22979

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 05:46:36.