List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FIELD HOUSE

List entry Number: 1313736

Location

FIELD HOUSE, DEAN LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CalderdaleMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 15-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Jul-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 339179

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOWERBY BRIDGE DEAN LANE SE 0422 & SE 0522 (west side, off), Sowerby 15/39 Field House (formerly listed on Upper Field 15.11.66 House Lane) GV II* House. 1749 for George Stansfield,probably with later additions. Ashlar, stone slate roof. Palladian style. Main block of double-pile plan, 2 storeys with base- ment and 11 bays has short, central rear wing linking it to parallel kitchen range. South-east (entrance) front: 2:2:3:2:2 bays, outer bays set back and possibly added later (1845 OS Map shows gap between Field House and Old Hall (qv)), central 3 bays breaking forward under pediment. Rusticated basement and quoins; ground-floor band. Flight of steps with balustrade leads to central doorway which has C20 part- glazed door and fanlight in double architrave with pulvinated friezes, cornice and segmental pediment. Windows are sashes in architraves with corbelled cills, pulvinated friezes and cornice. Modillion eaves and pediment cornice. In tympanum, Stansfield coat of arms (3 rams with lion crest) flanked by foliage. Roof hipped over central block and outer bays. Corniced stacks to ends and ridge. Rear: main block has 4-light flat-faced mullion windows, transomed on ground floor. Right return: main block in style of front: 3 bays, central bay breaking forward slightly under pediment. Plinth: rusticated quoins. Steps up to central door, part-glazed with etched glass, in architrave of Tuscan columns supporting classical entablature with blocking course and lion. Windows as front: Modillion eaves cornice. In tympanum, lion crest and motto "Know thyself". Kitchen range, set back on right, has a C16 Perpendicular style transomed 5-light pointed-arch window. In front of this are 2 columns which support a cupola-style bellcote with tripled columns and finials. These two features were brought from St Peter's Church, Sowerby, when it was rebuilt in 1762 (Whites p473). The inner courtyard front of the kitchen range has a doorway on left with 4-light window above and a 9-light window to its right (partly-blocked) by a brick lean-to) with an ll-light window above, all windows with flat-faced mullions. Interior of main block: entrance hall: Tuscan tetrastyle in antis carries full entablature returned around room, fireplace with C18 eared architrave, foral-decorated panel to frieze, entablature, and later poly- chromatic tiles and grate within, C18 inner surround; overmantel has swept, eared architrave with goat standing on keystone. Corridor: lozenge-slated floor; 6-panel doors in moulded architraves with entablatures; dentil cornice; oval light-well at right end; fire stair at left end. Stair: curved round with moulded handrail and stick-on-vase balusters, clustered at curtail; Venetian stair window with etched glass, Ionic columns and modillion cornice; lst-floor modillion cornice, floral frieze and central decorative ceiling plasterwork. lst floor: corridor: 6-panel doors in less-elaborate architraves apart from that to lobby at right end which has shouldered architrave with console pediment; light-well has balusters as stair and coved rectangular skylight; cornice. Good fireplaces in front bedrooms. Interior of kitchen range: left room a barrel-vaulted pantry with stone shelves; central room has two keyed arched recesses at rear and a stone sink; right room has three similar recesses with cupboards in outer two and range in central one. H P Kendall, "Antiquarians at Sowerby. A Pleasant Ramble", Halifax Antiquarian Society, Vol 1 (1902, Saturday June 7th). White s Directory, 1847.

Listing NGR: SE0415422639

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Whites Directory' in Whites Directory, (1847)
Other
(1902)

National Grid Reference: SE 04154 22639

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 10:17:12.