List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

List entry Number: 1313128

Location

THE CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityChurch Minshull

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 56739

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 66 SE CHURCH MINSHULL C.P. CHURCH MINSHULL VILLAGE (North side)

3/18 The Church of St Bartholomew 12/1/1967 GV II*

Parish Church 1702 (in blue bricks on tower), restored in 1861. Brown brick and stone dressing with slate and lead roof. 3-bay nave with choir, shallow apsidal chancel and square west tower, in classical style. The tower has a projecting ogee moulded stone plinth and stone quoins. West facing tower windows are semi-circular arched with keystones and moulded architraves, mullions and Venetian tracery at the lower levels. There is a projecting band at nave roof level and above the south facing clock dial is balanced by stained glass bull's eyes in the other faces of the tower. The louvred openings at bell stage have "Y" tracery and hood moulds. There is an ogee cornice, red brick solid parapet and square corner ball topped finials. The nave (south) entrance is a 6-panel, oak, bolection moulded door in a stone dressed porch, with pediment supported on Tuscan columns and pilasters. There is a 4-keystone bull's eye window in the wall above the porch. The nave, choir and chancel have a moulded stone plinth and quoins, also cross windows, with rounded heads, surmounted by small bull's eyes under semicircular arches with springers. There is a brick and stone cornice and a solid red brick parapet, interrupted by ball topped pilasters over each window. In the north wall of the nave there is a 6-panel bolection moulded door in a projecting moulded stone surround with key. There is a high-quality C17 marble armorial memorial fixed to the east chancel external wall. Interior: Two lines of plain circular columns divide the church throughout its length; these flank the apse and separate the nave from the side aisles. The apse has mosaic cladding to window cill level and the ten commandments and prayers in panels flanking the window. Choir stalls front the altar and face each other across an area of mosaic paving. A gothic carved oak eagle lectern and pine pulpit face oak box pews with fielded panels. Three alabaster wall memorials south wall of choir and two marble war memorials nave south wall. The choir/nave ceiling is flat with large perimeter mouldings and coves, and a panelled beam separating the apse. Pine west gallery, off two posts with curved brackets and three 4-panel-door glazed vestry screen below.

Listing NGR: SJ6661860594

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 66618 60594

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 02:33:51.