List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1313027

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HAM LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North SomersetUnitary AuthorityKingston Seymour

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-Oct-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 33637

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 46 NW KINGSTON SEYMOUR C.P. HAM LANE (south side)

2/28 Church of All Saints 11.10.61 G.V. I

Anglican Parish Church. Late C14/C15, restored 1865. Rubble, freestone dressings, ashlar steeple, lead and slate roofs. West tower, nave south aisle, south porch, chancel, north chapel. All perpendicular except rebuilt chancel and north chapel. Tower of 2 stages, though with no string course has angle buttresses with weathered setbacks, only on the first stage; north east stair turret, rectangular at first stage, becomes octagonal and rises above the parapet with small battlements but no cap; plain west door in moulded, pointed arch below 3-light window, both have plain dripmoulds, clock face to west; second stage has 2-light louvred windows to all faces; tall parapet between heavy, crocketed finials, pierced in 2 rows, those below are ogee headed, those above, have smaller, cusped heads; octagonal spire, with single lights to compass faces behind parapet, rises to finial with weathercock. 3-bay nave has 3-light pointed windows under drips between buttress which rise as small, crocketed finials through a trefoil pierced parapet, at east, a plain, lean-to stair turret with single slit light. Similar south aisle has plain parapet. Gabled south porch has heavily moulded pointed arch under 2-light window with drip. Chancel, rebuilt in 1865, has a 3-light, decorated, east window and two 2-light perpendicular windows to south on either side of priest's door. North chapel, of similar date, has two 2-light perpendicular windows to east, two plain 2-light windows to north. Interior: tower arch has very broad roll and wave moulding. Nave has an open wagon roof with gilded bosses, north windows have moulded rear-arches, plain rood stair entrances remain, lower blocked. 4-bay arcade (with a distinct lean) to south aisle, roll and hollow moulding, small, foliate capitals, windows have plain rear-arches, slender, framed ceiling rises from angel corbels; there is an ogee headed piscina at south east. South porch has a restored arch brace collar beam roof on painted angel corbels, an ogee headed stoup and an empty niche over south door With a stellate canopy. There is an ornately moulded arch to the restored chancel with arch brace collar beam roof on painted angel corbels; a double ogee headed squint passes in part behind the moulded rear-arch of the south chancel window; there is a small trefoil headed piscina at the south east. An archway to the north chapel, now the vestry, is blocked. Glass: the Smyth-Piggot memorial west window was replaced in a restoration of 1917 to designs by Roland Paul. Fittings: there is a C19 stone pulpit, a thin derivation from the local school; a much restored plain font may be C12; faded royal arms moved to tower in order that the C19 altar piece, a painting of the transfiguration, might be placed over south door. Sources: N. Pevsner, 'Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol' 1958. C. Woodforde, 'Stained Glass of Somerset, 1250-1830' 1046.

Listing NGR: ST4008666855

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Woodforde, C - Title: Stained Glass of Somerset 1250-1830 - Date: 1946
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 40085 66849

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 10:54:33.