List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST WILLOW

List entry Number: 1312492

Location

CHURCH OF ST WILLOW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityLanteglos

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Aug-1964

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Apr-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 60551

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 15 SW LANTEGLOS-BY-FOWEY

8/49 Church of St Willow(formerly listed as Parish Church of St Wyllow) 21/8/64 GV I

Parish Church with Norman origins. Traces of Norman work in tower arches and in jambs on south doorway. A XP stone built into main doorway was dated by Pevsner to be C8 at latest. Church reconstructed at end of C14 with tower, nave and north arcade. South arcade circa C15. Porch possibly rebuilt in C17. Church restored by E H Sedding in 1904-5. Rubblestone with granite dressings. Slate roof with nave and chancel in one under continuous roof. North and south aisles continue to west end of chancel. Single buttress on south aisle and 3 buttresses on north, 2 stepped and 1 heightened with chimney. South aisle west window, 3-light Perpendicular with C19 restoration. Wide 2- centred arch with hood and drips. To west of porch, two 3-light Perpendicular windows with rectangular hoods and drips ornamented with shields. To east of porch, 3 perpendicular windows in 4-centred arches. 2 to west of 4-lights, and window to east of 3. Two 2-light perpendicular windows with slight ogee headed trefoils to east windows of north and south aisles. East window, C19, decorated tracery with hood and drips. East window of north aisle, 3-light rectangular with trefoil heads. Possibly reset. To north aisle. Three 4-light Perpendicular windows under 4-centred arches with hoods. North door with pointed, chamfered, granite arch. 3-light rectangular Perpendicular window with hood and drips decorated with shields in partly blocked opening to west of north door. Unbuttressed tower of four stages with battlemented cornice with crochetted finials. West window with C19 decorated tracery of 3 lights. 3-light cusped belfry openings with slate louvres in rectangular surround with hood. Pointed relieving arches. South porch gabled with 2-centred chamfered arch. Sundial above. Round-headed holy water stoup in east wall. South door with chamfered jambs. On jambs three distinct crosses, two on east jamb and one on west. 5-bay arcade of octagonal piers of Pentewan stone to north and south aisles. North arcade circa C14 with octagonal piers on square bases with simple octagonal slightly cushioned capitals. Almost round arches. South arcade circa C15 with moulded bases on square plinths with moulded octagonal capitals. Tall tower arch, of simple double chamfered section, opening into nave and aisles. Large engaged piers on east side of tower arch opening to north and south aisles. Original unceiled waggon roofs throughout with chamfered ribs in north aisle and moulded to nave and south aisle. Elaborated bench ends circa 1500. Circa C13 font with Pentewan stone bowl with stiff leaf carving. Purbeck marble detached shafts on rounded bases with heavy simple caps. Bowl hollowed octagonally inside (only example in Cornwall). Rood loft stairs in south aisle. Carved oak altar table, gift of Baronet Mohun to Parish in 1634. Altar table in Lady Chapel designed by Sedding. Alabaster panel depicting martyrdom of St Lawrence fixed to wall above. Found during restoration. 2-centred arch to piscina in Lady Chapel and rounded arch to piscina in south wall of chancel. Chancel aisle probably Mohun Chapel. Tomb chest in canopied recess in south chancel aisle built for Thomas Mohun who supervised its construction. Late C15. Originally with painting of resurection on wall above tomb. Dividing panels of round arches on decorated pilasters with foliage bands at sides and heraldic arms in centres. Partly painted. 2 watercolours at west end of Church illustrate church interior prior to restoration with box pews insitu. Signed Jane M Perceval, 1903. Fragments of early glass in east window of south aisle with heraldic shields and figures of nativity and the annunciation. Fragments in windows in north aisle. North and south chancel windows by Kemp with figures of Saints Prisca, Agnes, Sebastian and Kabiam. South aisle west window by Kempe and Tower. Stocks at west end of Church. C Henderson The Cornish Church Guide 1925. Kelly's Directory of Cornwall, 1889 N Pevsner and E Radcliffe The Buildings of England, Cornwall rp. 1970. Church Guide rp.1981.

Listing NGR: SX1472152339

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Church of St Willow Lanteglos By Fowey Church Guide - Date: 1981
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Henderson, C - Title: The Cornish Church Guide - Date: 1925
  3. Article  Reference - Title: Kelly's Directory - Date: 1889 - Journal Title: Kelly's Directory
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SX 14469 51523

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2014 at 02:27:25.