List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHELVEY COURT AND BRIDGE TO THE EAST AND 2 OUTBUILDINGS TO THE SOUTH WEST

List entry Number: 1312236

Location

CHELVEY COURT AND BRIDGE TO THE EAST AND 2 OUTBUILDINGS TO THE SOUTH WEST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
North SomersetUnitary AuthorityBrockley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Mar-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 33445

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 46 NE BROCKLEY CHELVEY (north side)

6/53 Chelvey Court and Bridge to the east and 2 Outbuildings to the G.V. south-west - -

II*

Large manor or court house. Circa 1618 to 1660 for Edward and John Tynte; altered (the south part demolished) in 1805. Coursed rubble with freestone dressings, pantiled roof, hipped at south end behind a coped parapet. L-plan with north wing. 3 storeys and attics. East elevation. 4 bays: 2-light casement windows, French windows on the ground floor; large central buttress with off-sets (all 1805). To the left of the buttress on the ground floor is a panelled door in a chamfered surround with a segmental head; moulded cornice on brackets. On the first floor at the far left is a projecting, square ashlar porch with an elaborate openwork balustrade; panelled door in moulded surround with imposts and a depressed 4-centred head; frieze of roses; one twisted column survives to the left; open segmental pediment with, in the tympanum, the arms of John Tynte on a cartouche and flanked by bunches of fruit; the pediment is flanked by tapering pilasters; all in a mannerist fashion. The porch is reached by a single arched rubble bridge, approximately 3-4 yards long. North elevation is irregular with 2 gables and a mixture of single, 2- and 3-light casement windows with ovolo moulded mullions and under dripmoulds. The west elevation is irregular of 5 bays with 2- and 3-light casement and cross windows (some blocked) with ovolo moulded mullions and surrounds, under dripmoulds and relieving arches. The outbuildings to the south-west consist of the remains of a square, rubble tower with a single light window in a moulded surround; and an adjoining building which has a chamfered doorway with a segmental head under a dripstone, in the gable end. Interior. Throughout the building are fragments of C17 panelling and doors. Ground floor: rear (west) living room (formerly a kitchen) has a panelled fire surround with a 6-row spit rack above, against the south wall is a bench table with a moulded cornice and resting on chamfered, square uprights; the central front (east) room has a moulded ashlar fire surround with a 4-centred head and an arched ashlar doorway with a keystone and imposts, large studded and panelled door. First floor: the inner door is panelled and has a moulded surround with a 4-centred head; the Blue- Room (centre east) has grained and painted panelling with a bead and reel edging which retains traces of gilding, large painted ashlar fireplace with a 4-centred head, a frieze of strapwork, lozenges within squares and circles, a dentilled cornice on brackets and an overmantel bearing the Tynte and Gorges arms; to the right (north) of the Blue Room is a bedroom which has panelled surrounds to the windows, as in the Blue Room but now overpainted, a central oval ceiling panel which is embellished with foliage and painted and gilded,and an ashlar fireplace with a moulded surround and a 4-centred head. The top floor has 2 further, similar fireplaces, some panelled doors and a coved cornice in one room. Large open well staircase rises through the 3 floors: turned balusters moulded closed string and moulded handrails, panelled newel posts with ball finials; the ceiling has a large plaster pendant ornamented with foliage and fruit and it is surrounded by a ribbed rosette with flower and thistle motifs. (Country Life, 21.V.1910. N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST4654768382

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
'Country Life' in 21 May, (1910)

National Grid Reference: ST 46549 68382

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 01:06:02.