List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CUBY

List entry Number: 1312202

Location

CHURCH OF ST CUBY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityDuloe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Aug-1964

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Aug-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 60675

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 25 NW DULOE DULOE

3/21 Church of St Cuby 21-8-64

GV I

Parish church. Consecrated 1321. Church probably of cruciform plan in C13. Tower circa early to mid C13. Church extended with addition of 4-bay north aisle in C15. 2-bay chantry chapel for Colshull family added at east end of north aisle in late C15. North transept added in C16. Restored in 1860-1 by St Aubyn at cost of £2,700, Patrons, Bewes family. Restoration included part rebuilding of walls to nave, south transept, north aisle and chancel; addition of south porch and re-roofing of church. The tower, originally 3 stages, had begun to incline northwards. In 1861 the top stage was removed and a pyramid roof substituted. Church of snecked ashlar slatestone with moulded plinth to nave, south porch, south transept and chancel. Lower plinth to north aisle and north transept. Both probably contemporary with C19 alterations. Moulded plinth to Colshull chapel on north east. Stone rubble tower with set back stone rubble buttresses to lower stage only and with set-offs, renewed on north west and north east corners. C19 slate roofs with nave and chancel in one. Slate pyramid roof to tower. Church comprises nave, chancel, north and south transepts, square tower at south of south transept and south porch. South side of nave with C19 3-light Perpendicular window, probably in original opening. South transept with C19 door with granite arch at angle with nave. South elevation of tower with C19 granite 2-centred arched opening with engaged columns and C19 plank door. Pointed relieving arch above, pierced at apex by later freestone dressed window. Lancets, louvered in second and third stages on west, south and east elevations. East side of transept with 2, probably C19 lancet windows with pointed relieving arches. To east, beyond transept, 2 Perpendicular windows with partly renewed granite tracery beneath 4-centred arches with hoodmoulds. Priests door between with freestone dressed 4-centred arch with hoodmould. Chamfered arch and jambs with stops. 4-light Perpendicular east window beneath 4-centred arch with hoodmould. North east chapel with late C15 unusual east window of high quality of 4- lights beneath 4-centred arch with moulded jambs and mullions and ornate cusped lights. Carved label steps with grotesque figure at apex. The north windows of chapel with original late C15 Perpendicular tracery with moulded mullions, cills and jambs with ornate cusped lights. Rood loft projection to west, contemporary with chapel with quatrefoiled light with cusped light above. A castellated cornice and moulded string course decorated with grotesques and gargoyles continues around the chapel and rood loft projection. North transept with circa C19 door surround on east and C19 4-light Perpendicular north window beneath 4-centred arch. North side of north aisle with 2 original circa C15 3-light Perpendicular windows beneath 4-centred arches. Both with hoodmoulds. Blocked north door between, in rectangular granite surround with inner 4-centred roll moulded arched opening. Incised spandrels with eroded carved label stops. Renewed C19 tracery in west windows of nave and north aisle. C19 south porch, gabled with steeply sloping roof. 2-centred moulded arched opening. with similar arch to south door. C19 south door with cover moulds. Interior C19 waggon roof to nave, north aisle, north and south transept and south porch. Reused carved bosses in C19 waggon roof to chancel. 4-bay north arcade of Pentewan stone; tall shafts with unusual variation of type A (Pevsner) piers with moulding comprising 2 pronouced fillets to right and left of the deep hollow, tall bases slightly masked by raised floor, capitals decoratively carved and moulded 4- centred arcade arches with pronouced crank at springing. 2-bay north east Colshull Chapel with decoratively carved arcade, moulded piers as in north aisle with hollows decoratively carved with hearaldic motifs, intertwined foliage, grapes and vine leaves so producing convex moulded shaft carved tall bases with quatrefoils in central panels and moulded 4-centred arcade arches with central hollow chamfer. At

east end, arcade arch rests on carved corbelled bracket of angels head. South transept arch similar to arcade arches of north aisle. North transept arch, slightly more pointed with heavy moulded arch. Tower arch blocked. C19 furnishings. Oak seats in chancel and Colshull Chapel, from Balliol College, Oxford, donated in 1937. C19 pulpit. Late C19 reredos by Harry Hems of Exeter. Circa C15 octagonal font of granite; octagonal bowl, lead lined and decorated with quatrefoils in square panels. Baptistery with decorated marble pavement laid in 1900. Further font in north aisle, near north transept, known as St Cuby's Font. Circular granite font from holy well (qv St Cubys Well, B 3254). Possibly of pre- Christian origin and possibly carved with figures of griffin and dolphin. Holy water stoup to west of south door. Square in plan with decorated carved panels with bulbous foliage. Possibly late C14. In chancel, piscina with cusped arch with projecting basin carved with quatrefoils. North transept probably added in C16. Reset circa late C15 carved parclose screen, probably part of rood screen. Incorporates symbols of saints and Colshull family arms. 4 bays with first, second and fourth bays with carved 3-light Perpendicular traceried openings. Moulded base with cusped lights below with later panelling. Partly restored in circa C19. Colshull Chapel with circa late C15 carved parclose screen. 4-bays with 3-light Perpendicular traceried openings at junction with north aisle. Elaborately carved with intertwined foliage and decorated with shields. Screen of 3 panels, each of 4-light continues to east in first bay of arcade dividing chantry chapel from chancel. Perpendicular tracery with plain later panels below. Memorials Large number of fine memorials in Colshull Chapel. Vault beneath Colshull Chapel used for burials until 1889. Recumbent effigy of knight in plate armour, Sir John Colshull who died in 1485. Second richest man in Cornwall. Decorated with carved panels with quatrefoils and shields. On west end has relief of crucifixion. Inscription Johe's Colshull 1483 around margin of tablet. Beneath north window table tomb of John Killiow of Westnorth (qv Westnorth Manor), died 1610 and wife Dorothy Trevelyan who died in 1600 and whose arms are impaled with those of her husband on panel above tomb. Strapwork decoration. 3 slate memorials: to Anna Coffyn, died 1592, in Elizabethan dress holding gloves and book. 2 shields in spandrels with skull below: To Maria Arundel, died in 1629, daughter of Thomas Arundel and niece of Sir John Arundel who defended Pendennis Castle, Falmouth. Verse with anagram of name 'Man a dry laurel'. Below east window of chapel, slate with 2 Elizabethan ladies with their families. Well carved. Other memorials include 1 to Henry Bewes by William Adran, 1793, signed 'Adran Fect London'. Well executed with relief of woman with portrait medallion of dead man. Also to Vice Admiral Sir Edward Buller, Bart of Trenant Park (qv Trenant) 1764-1824, sarcophagus with urn and heraldic arms. Also to Jeremiah Miles, 1746; to Isac Miles, rectory St Pinnock, 1766; Johannis Ogilvie, 1839; John Grigg of Bodbrane (qv Bodbrane) died 1792, Martha Nicholas Grigg died 1810; Thomas Bewes, died 1857 and Edward Bewes died 1806. Glass; 2 windows in south wall of chancel in memory of Rev. P Bush, who was responsible for the restoration of church, and his wife. 1893 one of David, St Paul and Isaiah. The other of Faith, Charity and Hope which is signed in the right-hand corner with signature of 3 bees, probably by Percy Bacon and Brothers. Former rector, Rev. Robert Scott, partner with Liddell in production of the Greek Lexicon. Church stands on a Lan. Pevsner No and Radcliffe E. The Buildings of England, Cornwall Church Guide 2nd ed 1970.

Listing NGR: SX2349858183

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SX 23464 58095

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2014 at 01:43:27.