List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PARTRICK

List entry Number: 1312122

Location

CHURCH OF ST PARTRICK, A65

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaSouth LakelandDistrict AuthorityPreston Patrick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 76611

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 58 SW PRESTON PATRICK A65 (off East side) Crooklands

4/57 Church of St Patrick

II

Formerly known as Church of St Gregory. Parish Church. 1852 by Sharpe and Paley on site of earlier church; chancel rebuilt 1892. Incorporates C15 window in tower and niches in chancel from original church. Squared limestone blocks with roughly-cut limestone dressings to nave, sandstone dressings to chancel; graduated slate roof with stone ridge and copings. Perpendicular style. West Tower, nave with North aisle, chancel and vestry. Chamfered plinth and cornice; square 4-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, string to each stage, bell openings to all sides of 4th stage, battlemented parapets and octagonal stair turret, rising to higher level at south-west corner, with slit windows and pointed-arched head to door. Gabled South porch with slate roof and stone copings; depressed arch to doorway with hoodmould and heavy roughly-dressed stone labels. Interior: Nave has 4-bay A-frame roof with curved braces, chancel has one bay barrel-vaulted roof. 3 3-light windows to North aisle, 3 2-light windows to South of nave and one 2-light window in chancel, 4-light West window and 4-light East window with stained glass representing Saints; variety of other late C19 and early C20 glass including central window in South side of nave by Heaton Butler and Bayne of London. Pulpit commemorates death of William Henry Wakefield of Sedgwick House in 1889. Prominent landscape feature dominating surrounding area.

Listing NGR: SD5370483520

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 53704 83520

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2014 at 12:23:04.