List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH

List entry Number: 1312070

Location

CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Central BedfordshireUnitary AuthorityAspley Guise

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 38117

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 9436-9536 ASPLEY GUISE CHURCH STREET 5/14 Church of St Botolph 23.1.61 GV II* Parish church. Medieval origins, extensively reworked early and later C19. Mainly coursed ironstone with ashlar dressings. Tower of coursed limestone rubble. Clay tile roofs to chancel and chapel. Slate roofs to nave and aisles. Chancel, N rector's vestry, N organ chamber and choir vestry, 8 chapel, nave, N and S aisles,W porch/tower. Chancel: late C19, 3-light pointed-arched E window, 2-light pointed S window. N rector's vestry: late C19, with 2-light window and flat roofed C20 brick addition adjoining to N. N organ chamber/choir vestry: late C19 projecting gable, with flat-headed 4- light N window. S (Nativity) Chapel: late C19. 2-light pointed E window, 3- light square-headed S window, and 3-centred arched S doorway. Nave: C15, reworked C19. 4-bay N and S arcades, parts of N one original. Clerestories on both sides have 4 2-light square-headed windows. C19 embattled parapets. N aisle: E part (now N chapel) is medieval, partly reworked C19. Slightly taller W part C19, probably 1855. W part has 3 square-headed 3-light windows. E part has 3-light square-headed window and 4-centred headed doorway surmounted by 2-light square-headed window. 3-light E window gives onto N organ chamber. Rose window to W. Embattled parapet. W porch/tower: C15, repaired C17, C18 and 1855. 3 stages, divided by string courses, with diagonal buttresses to W angles. C19 embattled parapet. Square-headed 2-light window to each side of bell-stage. S elevation has pointed-arched doorway surmounted by square-headed single light. W elevation has pointed-arched dooway. Interior: roofs mainly C19, except N aisle E end retains one original moulded king-post truss with figured corbels. N aisle has C15 traceried screen. C14 circular font with 4 moulded shafts forming corners. N aisle has tomb chest with effigy of knight, probably Sir William Tyrington, e1400. N aisle floor has brasses, one to John Danvers, rector, c1410, other c1500, probably to Sir John de Gyse IV. 2 polychrome marble wall monuments to N aisle N wall, to Francis Norcliffe, 1724, and William Wright 1807. Chancel N wall has brass, in simple marble strapwork surround, to William Stone, rector from 1583 to 1617. E.M.R. Ditmas The Parish Church of St Botolph, Aspley Guise: A Short History 1970.

Listing NGR: SP9424936248

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditmas, E M R , The Parish Church of St Botolph Aspley Guise A Short History, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SP 94249 36248

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 09:53:52.