List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST WINNOW

List entry Number: 1311942

Location

CHURCH OF ST WINNOW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthoritySt. Winnow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Aug-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 60630

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 15 NW ST WINNOW

6/129 Church of St Winnow

21/8/64 GV I

Parish church. Norman traces in north walls of nave, north transept and chancel. Partly rebuilt in C13. South aisle, porch and tower circa C15. Parts of north wall of nave, chancel and north transept rebuilt in late C19. Rubblestone with coursed stone to south aisle, porch and base of tower. Moulded granite plinth to tower. Unmoulded plinth to south aisle and south porch. No plinth moulding to nave, chancel and north transept. Slate roof with nave and chancel in one with continuous roof. 6-bay south aisle of equal length. East window with C19 decorated tracery under 2 centred arch. Chancel north side with 3-light window with segmental heads under rectangular hood reset and partly restored. Further window of one light with segmental head with rectangular hood and unmoulded drips also reset, possibly when wall rebuilt. North transept with 3-light C19 east window with cusped heads under rectangular hood with figure heads in drips. North window of north transept of 3-lights, early Perpendicular tracery under 2-centred arch with decorated drips. West wall of north transept possibly rebuilt. Abuts the left-hand jamb of a C13 2-light window with cusped heads and possibly blocked light above. 2 late C19 decorated 2-light windows adjoining to the west with a brick and stone chimney between. Evidence of part of relieving arch, similar to that above C13 window partly blocked by later fenestration. South aisle east window of 4-lights with ferrimenta under 4-centred arch, with hood and unmoulded shields in drips. Tracery partly renewed. South aisle with 3- light Perpendicular windows under 2-centred arches with hoods and decorated drips. Cavetto moulded jambs. Tracery partly renewed. South priests doorway between fourth and fifth window with 4-centred arch with roll moulding. West window of south aisle of similar style to that of east. Tower of 3 stages with setback, stepped buttresses with exception of east side and embattlemented tower. West door arch replaced with finer granite 2-centred arch with hood mould and cavetto moulded jambs and pyramid stops, possibly C19. Above, 3-light C19 Perpendicular window with deep cavetto mould. On east side of tower, 2-light window with pointed heads under 2-centred arch, possibly reset C13 window. 2-light belfry openings with transom on 4 faces with cusped heads and louvres under 2-centred arches. South porch with 2-centred arched entrance with similar roll mould as south priest's door. Cusped head to empty deep niche above in rectangular granite surround with cavetto mould jambs and roll moulded frame. Niche above under basket arch. South door with dated and initialled lock 'IS 1815'. Interior: 6-bay arcade to south aisle with standard type A (Pevsner) granite piers with decorated engaged octagonal capitals. Waggon roof to nave, chancel, south aisle and porch with moulded ribs and carved bosses. Elaborately carved wall plate to east end of south aisle. Shields in arcade plate in nave. North transept arch rebuilt in C13. Tall tower arch partly blocked. Bench ends. C16 and early C17 with fine carving including figure of Cornishman in kilt and an elaborate ship. Chancel reseated. Elaborately carved rood screen continuing across east end of nave and south aisle, circa 1520. Restored in 1907 by E M Sedding. Coving added and tracery reconstructed to south aisle. Comprises elaborate base of screen with carved foliage. 2 centred arches to 4-light Perpendicular tracery. Elaborate coving and figures of crucifixion, Virgin and St John above, erected in memory of Francis Buller Howell, 1918. Font of granite, circa C15 with inscription "Ecce Karissimi de deo. vero baptizabuntur spiritu sancto" around round bowl. Supported by 4 engaged shafts on octagonal base. C17 oak octagonal font cover with elaborate finial. Oak pulpit circa 1620. Octagonal with elaborately carved panels with round arches on decorated pilasters with curved brackets on corners. Stands on heavy bulbous legs. Letter from King Charles I to the Cornish in west tower arch, painted with wings and head of angel on top. Board above south door signed and dated. C Tomkins Vicar, 1775. Glass: east window of south aisle, stained glass of some note circa 1500 containing kneeling figures, rows of standing saints, arms and effigies of Lords of Ethy Chantry for whom south aisle was built as a chantry restored in 1867 in memory of Wilham and Elizabeth Foster of Lanwithan. Ancient glass also in chancel east window depicting crucifixion reset. Some early glass incorporated into later design in single light north window of chancel. Heraldic shield in top light of west window in south aisle. Fine late C19 or early C20 window to west of nave depicting Angel appearing after Christ had risen in memory of Mary Agnes Richardson and Harriet Roger. Memorials: slate stone in porch in memory of Edmund Dyer, 1722. In north wall of south aisle east end, slatestone to William Sawle of Newham, gent, buried in 1651. Repaired in 1838 by Sir J S G Sawle. In north transept painting of interior of church presented by Rev. Percival Fry, Vicar of parish, 1835 - 1864. Prior to restoration illustrating screen without coving and tracery in south aisle and with box pews in east end of south aisle. Wood bell frame of 1899 by Stokes. Source: C Henderson, The Cornish Church Guide, 1925, Kelly's Directory of Cornwall, 1889; N Pevsner and E Radcliffe, The Buildings of England, Cornwall, 2nd edition 1970; Guide to the Churches of Bodmin Deanery, 1977

Listing NGR: SX1153856970

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Guide to the Churches of Bodmin Deanery - Date: 1977
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Henderson, C - Title: The Cornish Church Guide - Date: 1925
  3. Article  Reference - Title: Kelly's Directory - Date: 1889 - Journal Title: Kelly's Directory
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SX 11537 56971

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2014 at 08:43:35.