List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1311867

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Central BedfordshireUnitary AuthorityHaynes

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 37627

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 04SE HAYNES CHURCH END 1/73

23.1.61 Church of Saint Mary the Virgin

GV II*

Parish church. C14 and C15, with extensive rebuilding 1850 by Henry Woodyer for the Rev. Lord John Thynne. Coursed ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with stone coped gables. Chancel, N vestry, N chapel, nave, N and S aisles, S porch, W tower. Most windows reworked C19, with pointed heads. Chancel:3-light E window, 2-light SW window. N vestry: doorway to N elevation, single lights. N (Thynne) chapel: oeil-de-boeuf to E, 2 single lights to N, gabled roof. Nave: 4-bay pointed arched arcades, S one C14, N one C19, Aisles: mainly 2-light windows, pointed arched doorway to N. Gabled SE bay has rose window serving Carteret chapel. S porch: gabled, with pointed doorway. W tower: C15. 3 stages, with octagonal stair turret to SW angle. 2-light pointed windows to all sides of bell-stage and w elevation lower stage. Pointed W doorway. Embattled parapet. Angle buttresses. Interior: Chancel: decorative ribs and polychrome stencil patterning to roof and walls. Brass to Anthony Newdigate, d.1568. Thynne chapel: alabaster effigy of Lady Thynne, 1868 by H. H. Armstead. Canopy, floor and ironwork by Sir George Gilbert Scott. E window by O'Connor. Polychrome stencil decration and angel corbels to roof, by Clayton and Bell. Carteret chapel: monuments to First Lord Carteret, d.1826 (marble portrait head in oval surround, by Westmacott) and to 2nd. Lord Carteret, d.1838. Rose window with 6-cornered star by Woodyer.

Listing NGR: TL0810941190

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 08109 41190

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 06:12:42.