List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ENODER

List entry Number: 1311865

Location

CHURCH OF ST ENODER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthoritySt. Enoder

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 12-May-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 71291

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST ENODER SW 85 NE 11/291 Church of St Enoder 10.2.67 GV I

Parish church. C14 origin; mid - late C15 additions including the south aisle and the south porch. In 1686 the tower collapsed; the south aisle is dated 1886, when it was substantially rebuilt, and the tower dated 1711 at the time of its rebuilding. Restoration dated 1869, and ICBS board dating restoration of 1951. Squared granite rubble with granite dressings; some granite ashlar, including the tower. C19 slate roofs with crested ridge tiles and gable ends. Plan: Nave and chancel in one, with north and south aisle. The original church probably had a north transept, which was incorporated in the north aisle in C15. The south aisle appears to be of C15 at the east end, substantially rebuilt in the same style in 1686, with the south porch of C15. The west tower is of 1711, probably incorporating materials from an earlier west tower. Exterior: The nave is concealed by the aisles. The chancel's east end is on chamfered plinth, with 3-light C19 Perpendicular window. The south aisle is in stone rubble at the east end, the rest in squared granite rubble; there are 3 bays to east without plinth and 5 bays to west including the south porch, on a moulded plinth with quatrefoil panels. The early bays have three 3-light C19 Perpendicular windows to south and doorway with 4-centred arch, roll- moulded with recessed spandrels and hood mould, C19 door. The east end has 4-light C15 Perpendicular window with Y tracery. The west bays have a moulded cornice and parapet with quatrefoil panels and battlements; there are 3 windows to east, of 4- lights with Y tracery, 4-centred arch and hood mould, and one similar window to west of the porch. The west end has similar 3-light window. The merlons of the battlements have carved panels which include the date 1686 and the initials WSV. The south porch is 2-storey, on moulded plinth with quatrefoil panels, set-back buttresses with carved shields, cornice and parapet with carved merlons to battlements and crocketed pinnacles. 4-centred arched doorway with wave and hollow moulding, demi-figures of angels as springers. C19 double doors. Stone bracket above as image stand. The interior of the porch has slate floor with granite benches to sides. C19 roof. 4-centred arched doorway to the porch stair with C19 door. Remains of holy water stoup to right. Inner doorway is hollow-moulded with 4-centred arch and hood mould, fine panelled door of early C18. The north aisle is on hollow-moulded plinth, in granite ashlar; of 6 bays including the wide shallow north transept. All windows are of late C17 - early C18, 4-light with Y tracery, rounded arch and hood mould. Between the 2 bays to west is a roll- moulded doorway with recessed spandrels, 4-centred arch and hood mould, C19 door. The east end has large 5-light window, probably of C15, with cusped lights and 4- centred arch. The west end has 3-light C19 Perpendicular window. The north transept has a slurried scantle slate roof with raised coped verges to the gable; in rubble with granite quoins. 3-light north window of C19 in Early English style. The west tower is in 3 stages, on chamfered plinth, angle buttresses with baroque scrolled set offs, moulded string courses and embattled parapet with obelisk finials. 4-centred arched hollow-chamfered west doorway with hood mould and voussoirs and floating cornice. 2-light west window with hollow-chamfered mullions, rounded arch and keystone, dated 1711, with hood mould. Second stage has a lancet to west with slate ventilator. Lancets to north for stair. Third stage has single round-arched bell-openings with keystones and wooden louvres. Interior: Plastered walls and tiled floors except for the north east aisle, which is granite paved. The nave has an unceiled wagon roof, possibly of the C18. North and south aisles have C15 wagon roofs with carved ribs, bosses and wall-plates; same roof in north transept. The east end of the south aisle and the chancel have C19 arched- brace roofs with windbraces. The tower arch is rounded with imposts. Nave has 4-bay north and south arcade; the south arcade is of the C14, with 2-centred arches with octagonal piers, convex and concave moulded arches. North arcade has Pevsner A-type piers with carved capitals, 4-centred arches; similar arch to north transept. The chancel has a 3-bay north and south arcade with Pevsner A-type piers with carved capitals and 4-centred arches. The chancel has C19 paired cusped recesses to right and left of the altar. In the north wall of the north aisle, there is an unexplained niche to right and left of the window to west of the transept. Fittings: C12 font in south aisle, with circular bowl and criss-cross pattern around the rim, 2 masks remaining and circular stem. Slate sundial with gnomon dated 1766 in south aisle. C19 benches in nave and aisles, with C15 bench ends. Panelled C19 pulpit in nave, incorporating some C15 carving. C19 Gothic style rood screen also incorporating some C15 carving. Good C19 Gothic altar table with clustered shafts. Royal Arms of Charles II in north aisle. Painting in north transept, probably of early C19, oil on canvas. Monuments in north transept: 3 marble monuments to Richard Retallack, 1831, Elizabeth Lawer, 1851 and Elizabeth Basset, 1854. In north aisle: 3 slate ledger stones, to Anthony Carvinack, 1744, Anthony Tanner, 1708 and John Treseyse, C17. Fine slate monument with 2 arches and 3 kneeling figures in low relief, with mottoes and verses to Dorothy Tanner, 1634. Oil on board memorial in chancel, to Frances Flamank, 1785. In south aisle, 3 slate monuments, to Richard Hoblyn, 1765, John Bassett, 1787 and John Bassett, early C19. Fragments of medieval glass in the east window of the south aisle. Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.

Listing NGR: SW8925056971

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SW 89247 56969

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 01:31:47.