List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

List entry Number: 1311692

Location

CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaSouth LakelandDistrict AuthorityWhitwell and Selside

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Feb-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 75761

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 59 NW WHITWELL AND SELSIDE

6/180 Church of St Thomas

II

Church. 1838, tower 1894. Plastered stone, the tower of stone rubble with slobbered mortar, some roughcast and ashlar dressings; slate roof. 4-bay nave and west tower. Nave has coped east gable with kneelers and cross, diagonal buttress to south. Narrow stack to north of 3-light traceried window with single-chamfered mullions. Later lean-to outbuilding with gabled building to north end. South facade of nave has lancets with chamfered reveals. North facade has organ loft under catslide roof to east. 2 bays, with 3-light single-chamfered mullioned window with transom. Tower has bell stage over weathered band, plastered to west, top band and embattled parapet. Squat pyramidal roof with weather vane. West window of 3 round-headed lights; 4 light window to north, with weathered buttress to angle. South stair turret under lean-to roof has window of 2 round-headed lights. Gabled porch has Tudor-headed entrance and lozenge with date: 1838. 3 louvred bell-openings to each face of bell stage, but only 2 to east. Interior: Stepped round arch on corbels to tower, which has fluted beams. Partitioned-off vestry. Font of marble, of 4-lobed chalice form. Nave has boarded roof and tie beams; hat pegs to backs of pews. Enriched stall fronts and reredos; turned balusters to altar rail. Stained glass east window, the Good Shepherd, dated 1867. Older font is square, on chamfered pier, with date: 1709. Wood wall memorial to Ienet Kitchin, died 1712 aged 103, panel with entablature and apron with skull and cross bones.

Listing NGR: SD5355099206

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 53550 99206

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 08:03:48.