List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST KEVERNE

List entry Number: 1311542

Location

CHURCH OF ST KEVERNE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthoritySt. Keverne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Jul-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 64715

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST KEVERNE ST KEVERNE SW 72 SE 3/138 Church of St Keverne 10 7 57 I Parish church. North-west corner of north aisle circa late C13, continued east in C14 and early C15. West tower circa early C15 with spire constructed in 1450. North arcade circa early c15 followed by south arcade. Chancel circa late C15 and east wall partly reconstructed in C19. South porch circa C16. Spire damaged by lightning in 1770 and rebuilt. Part of south aisle rebuilt in C19 and 2 windows renewed. Church restored in 1893. Abbots of Beaulieu patrons of church between 1235 and 1538. Rubble stone with slate roofs. Ashlar granite tower and spire. Nave and chancel in one. 8-bay north and south aisle not quite full length. Aisles extend west to flank west tower. East window rebuilt in 1898 (3-light perpendicular tracery). North aisle, 1-light lancet on west side with 2-centred arch over doorway. Hood mould and roll moulded jambs. One 3-light Perpendicular window with cusped heads and three 4-light perpendicular windows. 2 early buttresses with 2 later buttresses. East windows of north and south aisles 5-light Perpendicular. South aisle; priests door with segmental arch. Two 4-light Perpendicular windows renewed in late C19. One 3-light and one 4-light C15 perpendicular window, window to west blocked (visible on interior). South door C15 with 4-centred moulded arch flanked by shields at spring points. Banded voussoirs. C18 panelled south door. Modern figure in ogee-headed niche above. Gabled south porch with stoup in east wall and stone benches flanking internal walls. Rounded stone arch. West windows to north and south aisles with checker voussoirs to 2- centred arches. Window to north aisle, 3-light Reticulated tracery, circa early C14, possibly reset. Window to south aisle 3-light Perpendicular tracery. Battlemented unbuttressed tower in 2 stages with moulded plinth and strings. Serpentine west doorway with checker surround. 4-centred arch with hood mould and serpent heads in label stops. Quatrefoils in spandrels. 4 shields at spring point of arch. Within, a small barrel-vaulted vestibule with stone benches and west doorway. Tall serpentine west window with checker voussoirs over. 3-light belfry openings with slate louvres on each side. 2-faced clock added in 1907. Octagonal ribbed spire with quatrefoils. Long Nave, north arcade with type-A (Pevsner) piers. Multi-coloured stone piers with shields in corners of capitals. Square bases. 3-rood stairs in north wall. South arcade piers of unusual section. Abaci of chancel arcade indicate later C15 date. Contemporary waggon roofs over north and south aisles and nave and chancel, restored in 1893. Much repaired over north aisle at west end. Chancel roof slightly painted. Carved bosses, ribs and arcade plate with traces of ancient colour over east end of north and south aisles. Tower arches open into nave and flanking aisles. Pointed arches of granite on plain rounded capitals. Some early C16 oak bench ends to later benches, comprising 2 panels with cusped heads over decorative motifs (shields, initials). Banded and intertwined foliage. Quatrefoils below. Pyramid stops. Font, circa C15, granite with late serpentine curved shaft on square granite base. Figures at corners holding shields and crossed swords with initials between. Octagonal pulpit, circa C17 with carved panels and renewed base. 2 C17 cupboards decorated with angel heads and cherubs as caryatids. Wall painting of St Christopher on north wall, circa C15. Monument on south wall to George Tregosse Lale, Merchant, 1710. Broken round pediment with shields and heraldic arms. Some colour remains. Sources: Words from a Cornish Village, Jill Newton, 1981 The Buildings of England, Cornwall, N Pevsner and E Radcliffe, 2nd ed. 1970

Listing NGR: SW7912221298

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Newton, J - Title: Words from a Cornish Village - Date: 1981
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SW 79124 21299

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 06:16:18.