List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 40 TO 54 AND FLANKING OUTBUILDINGS

List entry Number: 1311462

Location

NUMBERS 40 TO 54 AND FLANKING OUTBUILDINGS, 40-54, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BuckinghamshireAylesbury ValeDistrict AuthorityQuainton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Jan-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 42199

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 7420 QUAINTON CHURCH STREET (south side)

8/52 Nos. 40-54 and flanking outbuildings (formerly listed as Almshouses) 25.10.51

GV II*



Row of 8 almshouses with small outbuilding at each end. Dated 1687 on plaques, erected and endowed at the expense of Richard Winwood whose father, Sir Ralph, was principal Secretary of State to James I. Thin chequer brick with vitreous headers, moulded brick plinth, gauged first floor band course, brick pilasters at each end. Old tile roof, brick copings to main gables. 4 intermediate brick chimney stacks, each with 4 attached diagonal shafts. Symmetrical range of one storey and attic and 8 bays. Paired casements with diamond leading,those to ground floor with gauged brick heads, those to upper floor set above the eaves in gables with moulded wooden bargeboards. These gables, except at centre, alternate with smaller gables over single leaded casements. 2-panel doors below in wooden frames with gauged brick heads. Porch projections between bays 3 and 4 and bays 5 and 6 have shaped gables, blind painted windows to attics, and band courses raised to front over semi-circular brick arches with moulded edges and gauged key and impost blocks. Each porch has shaped plaque with raised inscription tablet in scrolled surround and a coat-of-arms with flanking cornucopiae. Side walls of porches have similar arches with wooden shutters, and leaded oval windows above. Gable walls of range have segmental-headed openings, those to right gable blind, those to left with barred wooden casements. Rear is similar to front but with 12 small even gables, one segmental. Small symmetrical outbuildings are important parts of composition and have coved segmental gables to front. Side walls have some timber framing but are partly rebuilt in brick. RCHM II p.246 Mon.10.

Listing NGR: SP7494520168

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North - Date: 1913 - Volume: 2 - Page References: 246

National Grid Reference: SP 74943 20170

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 12:36:38.