List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ODULPHUS

List entry Number: 1311439

Location

CHURCH OF ST ODULPHUS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityPillaton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 60941

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PILLATON SX 36 SE 5/192 Church of St Odulphus 23.1.68 GV I Parish church. Probably C14, with additions of circa mid C15 and later C15; C19 restoration. Slatestone rubble with granite dressings. Tower, south porch and south transept in granite ashlar. Slate roof with crested ridge tiles; porch and south transept have raised coped verges, with cross finial to transept. Plan: Nave and chancel in one; probably in circa early C15, the north aisle was added. Later in the C15, the south transept, with rood stair, south porch and west tower. Exterior: Nave has the south porch to west and the transept to east; between these, a window of 3 cusped lights, with recessed surround; this part of the wall was rebuilt at the time the transept and porch were added, with high chamfered plinth continuous with the transept plinth. Chancel has rubble plinth, C15 east window of 3 cusped lights with the central light taller, 4-centred arch and hood mould, cross finial above. South window of 2 cusped lights with square head and hood mould. Attached to east wall a slate tablet to Robert Smith, 1815; stone gutter in the valley to the north aisle. North aisle 3-light east window as at the east end of the chancel. 4 bays to north, each with a 3-light window, with cusped lights, square head and recessed hollow- chamfered surround. The west end has window as to east. South transept on high chamfered plinth. 3-light south window with 4-centred arch, cusped lights and upper tracery, hood mould. 3-light east window, cusped lights, square head with recessed hollow-moulded surround. Polygonal ashlar rood stair attached to east with lancet and pitched roof. Gabled south porch on hollow-moulded plinth with hollow-moulded string course. 4- centred arched wave-moulded outer doorway with hood mould. Interior of porch has C19 tiled floor, plastered walls, slate benches to sides; late C15 wagon roof, with moulded ribs and carved bosses, wall-plate carved with pomegranates and flowers. Inner 4-centred arched doorway with roll-mouldings and recessed spandrels; plain C19 door. West tower in 3 stages, on high plinth with upper and lower hollow moulding, plain string courses, set-back buttresses, embattled parapet with pinnacles. The west doorway has 4-centred arch, roll-moulded, with recessed spandrels and square hood mould; plain C20 door. West window with 4-centred arch, wave-moulded surround and hood mould, tracery rebuilt in C19. 3rd stage all sides a 3-light bell-opening, with 3-centred arched lights, upper tracery and wooden louvres, recessed surrounds. Interior: Plastered walls and C19 tiled floor. Nave and chancel has C19 roof. North aisle has ceiled C15 wagon roof with moulded ribs, carved bosses and wall-plate. South transept also has C15 wagon roof with moulded ribs and carved wall-plate set on moulded granite wall-plate. Tall 4-centred moulded tower arch, with Pevsner A-type piers with carved captials, C19 wooden screen across. 6-bay north arcade, with 4- centred hollow-chamfered arches, slender piers with 4 shafts and roll-moulding between shafts, octagonal chamfered bases with ring mouldings to capitals. Nave has corbel for image stand at east end. Unusually wide south squint to transept, with chamfered arch, giving access to the rood stair, which has a 4-centred arched chamfered doorway, stone newel stair and upper skew doorway. North aisle has round- arched niche at east end. Tall 4-centred arch to the trasept, with Pevsner A-type piers; chamfered piscina to south side. Fittings: C19 pews and pulpit, and screen between the chancel and the north aisle. Octagonal stone font in nave, probably C19. Royal Arms of George II, dated 1729, oil on board in moulded frame, in nave. Royal Arms of Charles II, dated 1663, oil on board in moulded frame, in north aisle. C17 stocks in porch. Monuments in chancel: marble tablet on slate ground with urn, to Jane Francis, 1819; scrolled marble tablet on slate ground, to Reverend Henry Woollcombe, 1816. In north aisle, a marble tablet on slate ground, to Nicholas Rawle Herring, 1836. In south transept, marble tablet with pilasters, apron and cornice, to James Tillie, 1746; slate tablet with stone pilasters, cornice, flaming urn, apron with carved stone putto with wings and flowers, to Robert Tillie, 1742; fine classical monument, with pilasters, frieze and entablature, apron with bucranium, to James Tillie, 1772. Sources: Radcliffe, E.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.

Listing NGR: SX3670364311

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SX 36698 64313

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Dec-2014 at 04:23:42.