List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ANTONY HOUSE

List entry Number: 1311081

Location

ANTONY HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityAntony

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 61677

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 45 NW ANTONY ANTONY PARK

3/22 Antony House

21.7.51

GV I

Country House. 1718-1729, attributed to Gibbs by the Rev. Daniel Lysons and Samuel Lysons in Magna Brittania: Vol III, Cornwall, 1814; master Mason John Moyle of Exeter. Addition made by Sir Reginald Pole-Carew, removed after 1945. The house has a brick carcass faced in Pentewan stone ashlar, with hipped slate roof with lead rolls to hips. Rectangular double depth plan; at the centre of the south front a large entrance hall with arcaded area screening it from the stair hall to the right. The hall is entered through the mid C19 porte cochere. The library is to the left of the stair hall and the saloon is the central room on the north front. A mid C19 addition was made to the east side, now demolished; basement service rooms remain, screened by a wall along the north front, erecting a lower service courtyard to east. South front of 2 storeys with basement and attic, on plinth, with bandcourse, rusticated pilasters to sides, 3:3:3: bays. The central 3 bays are broken forward with pediment and cornice, all windows 18-pane sashes with thick glazing bars and first arches with voussoirs; 3 dormers to right and left of pediment, all gabled, central ones with segmental pediments, all with sashes. The basement has three 2- light casements to right and left, also with first arches with voussoirs. Central single storey porte cochere, with Tuscan columns; this was added in the mid C19. Within the porte cochere, a recessed round-arched doorway, moulded, with keystone and imposts, half-glazed door with fanlight, French windows on each side. The east side is rendered, with pilasters, band course and cornice, 3 sashes at first floor and 3 similar dormers, C19 additions at ground floor level with porch, casement windows and flat roofs. The west side is 5 bays wide, all windows sashes with central half-glazed door with 9-pane overlight. As other facades, with plinth, band course, pilasters, cornice, 3 dormers; basement has two 2-light casements to left and raised terrace to right with wrought iron screen. Attached to right, wall forming rear of arcade for forecourt buildings, with blind window. Fine set of 4 lead rainwater heads with downpipes. The north front is of 3:3:3 bays, with 3 central bays broken forward under pediment, all windows sashes. Central bay has window right and left of doorway, a round-arched opening with moulded arch, imposts and keystone, panelled and glazed double doors with fanlights, pilasters and cornice carried forward over pediment. 6 dormers as to south. 4 rows of rendered and lined out stacks with caps. Lead rainwater heads to sides of central bays. The basement storey has three 2-light casements to right and left, with central flight to 4 granite steps, with low flanking walls, wrought iron screen along walls, about one metre high. This forms a terrace, with an archway underneath to each side. Interior Very fine unalteredearly C18 interior. The hall and principal rooms on the ground floor are panelled in 6ak, the first floor rooms panelled in pine, some painted. The staircase is in the inner hall, open well with barley-twist turned balusters and columnar newels, retaining the original light fittings of glass globes on shaped brass arms. Marble chimneypieces to each room, of different coloured marble, bolection-moulded. The central corridor at first floor is also panelled, with service stair at each end giving access to the attic storey. For further details and illustrations see sources. (Sources: Radcliffe, E.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970. Trinick, M.: Antony House 1985. Country Life, September 1933. Connoisseur, March 1959. Anthony H'ouse guide book, 1954).

Listing NGR: SX4176256302

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Antony House Guide Book, (1954)
Lysons, Reverend D, Lysons, S, Magna Britannia Cornwall, (1814)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
Trinick, M , Antony House, (1985)
'Country Life' in September, (1933)
'The Connoisseur' in The Connoisseur, (1959)
Other
Part 8 Cornwall and Isles of Scilly,

National Grid Reference: SX 41760 56303

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 11:55:20.