List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SHERBURN HOSPITAL GATEHOUSE, OFFICE WING, LODGE AND WALL

List entry Number: 1311049

Location

SHERBURN HOSPITAL GATEHOUSE, OFFICE WING, LODGE AND WALL, A 181

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
County DurhamUnitary AuthorityShincliffe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 109961

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHINCLIFFE A 181 NZ 3041 (East side) Sherburn Hospital 12/80 Sherburn Hospital 10/5/67 Gatehouse, office wing, lodge and wall (formerly listed in Sherburn House C.P.) GV II*

Gatehouse, office, lodge and wall. C14 gatehouse, upper floor rebuilt 1896. Possibly C14 buttressed wall. Mid C19 lodge and c.1896 office. Dressed and ashlar sandstone. Office has graduated stone-tiled roof, lodge has Welsh slate roof, gatehouse roof not visible. Stone chimney stacks. Gatehouse with office on left return and lodge on right; L-plan wall on front of lodge. Tudor style office and lodge. 2-storey, square-plan, angle-buttressed gatehouse. Pointed double-chamfered archway under hoodmould leads into pointed tunnel vault on 3 chamfered ribs. Low upper storey, rebuilt as muniment room, has 2-light mullioned window and embattled parapet with gabled copings. Early C19 pointed archway on rear. Single-storey, 2-bay office has 2- and 3-light ovolo-mullioned windows and a steeply-pitched roof with overhanging eaves and verge. Tall corniced ridge stack. Tudor-arched doorway; identical doorway in projecting porch on rear. Single-storey, one-bay lodge with added lean-to bay on right. C19 pointed doorway on left return under vault of gatehouse, 2-light mullioned windows under hoodmoulds. Tall flat-coped parapets. Left bay projects on rear. Later C19 one-storey range of sheds on front of lodge and built against inside of wall (q.v.). Tall flat-coped, L-plan wall. 8.0-metre long section on front of lodge has 3 regularly-spaced, 2-stage buttresses with offsets. Short return section to right with identical buttress. Historical note: Sherburn Hospital was founded c.1181 by Bishop Le Puiset as a lazar-house for the reception of 65 lepers. It declined in C16 and was badly damaged during the Civil War. Medieval remains are now only seen in the gatehouse and chapel (Item 12/84). (C.W. Gibby, Sherburn Hospital, 1976).

Listing NGR: NZ3077441540

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Gibby, C W - Title: Sherburn Hospital - Date: 1976

National Grid Reference: NZ 30774 41540

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 02:46:56.