List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HANSOM HOUSE LARTINGTON HALL MONK'S FLAT WITHAM COURT

List entry Number: 1310603

Location

HANSOM HOUSE, LARTINGTON LANE
LARTINGTON HALL, LARTINGTON LANE
MONK'S FLAT, LARTINGTON LANE
WITHAM COURT, LARTINGTON LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
County DurhamUnitary AuthorityLartington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Jun-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 111259

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LARTINGTON LARTINGTON LANE NZ 0217 (North side, off)

32/92 Lartington Hall, Monk's Flat, 12.1.67 Witham Court and Hansom House (Formerly listed as GV Lartington Hall) II* Large county house and former servants' wing, the latter now 3 dwellings: Monk's Flat, Witham Court and Hansom House. Dated 1635 on porch doorway; late C18 chapel and west wing; early C19 east wing with c.1836 ballroom addition possibly by Ignatius Bonomi; porte-cochère, vestibule, corridor and servants' wing added 1861-5 by Joseph Hansom. Pebble-dashed masonry, graduated green slate roofs and stone chimney stacks. Servants' wing: squared masonry; stone- flagged roofs and stone chimney stacks. Reversed U-plan: centre block; chapel, wing and rear servants' wing to west; early C19 east wing with ballroom and 1861-5 additions to north.

South front: 3-storey, 5-bay centre with projecting 3-storey porch: doorway with 3-centred head and re-cut 1635 date on lintel; blocked 2-light chamfered- mullioned window and 4-pane sash in architrave above. 4-pine sashes in flanking bays. 3-light Geometrical-tracery window in projecting chapel. 4-bay wing to east, with replaced 4-pane sashes, breaks forward. Eaves cornice. Low-pitched roof is hipped over wings and porch. Stepped and corniced ridge stacks with ornamental chimney pots.

2-storey, 9-bay east front has 3-bay centre and canted end bays. Plinth, replaced 4-pane sashes, eaves cornice and low-pitched roof. Ballroom addition: canted east bay with elaborate, pedimented tripartite window; taller main block behind with clerestory and low-pitched hipped roof; set-back north bay with Venetian window.

North front: 2-bay porte-cochère has round archways, end piers with vermiculated rustication, entablature with 1863 datestone and round-arched, pedimented return bays. Square vestibule behind has canted corners, small glazed lantern and low- pitched pyramidal roof.

2-storey west front of 2 builds: 3-bay north section has 12-pane sashes; 2 gabled porches at junction; 4-bay chapel has pointed windows with impost blocks; horse-mounting block to south end. Low-pitched hipped roof.

Servants' wing has sashes, steeply-pitched roofs, tall stacks and 1861 datestone in south gable of Hansom House.

Interior: former chapel, now squash court, has Gothic plasterwork, quadripartite rib-vaulted ceiling and north gallery. Colonnaded ballroom has canted corners, 4 segmental-arched recesses, Composite capitals, enriched entablature carried across the recesses, clerestory and coffered ceiling. Cinquecento-style additions by Hansom: vestibule with canted corners, niches, enriched round archways and painted coffered ceiling cove; linking 6-bay corridor to ballroom (south section has 3 circular skylights on pendentives; north section has late C20 suspended ceiling); spacious staircase hall has open-well cantilevered stone stair with wreathed and ramped handrail and cast-iron balusters, skylight with C19 heraldic stained glass, Venetian stair window with stained glass of Pre- Raphaelite female figure holding lyre.

Lartington Hall was the home of the geologist Henry Witham (1779-1844).

Listing NGR: NZ0214217756

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 02142 17756

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2014 at 07:52:23.