List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT EDMUND

List entry Number: 1310440

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT EDMUND, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
East Riding of YorkshireUnitary AuthoritySeaton Ross

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 167077

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HUMBERSIDE EAST YORKSHIRE 5268 SEATON ROSS CHURCH LANE SE 74 SE (west side) 5/58 Church of Saint Edmund 26.1.67 - II Church. 1788, restored 1901-8 by Temple Moore. Orange brick in Flemish bond with stone dressings, plain tile roof. Two-stage west tower, 4-bay nave, single-bay chancel. West tower: small round-headed window to ground floor, paired similar openings to belfry, all under gauged brick arches. Datestone above belfry openings. Stepped brick eaves cornice, pyramidal roof with windvane. Nave: 3 shortened round-headed cross-mullion windows with leaded glazing under gauged brick arches. (The original stone sills are now below an apron of brick inserted in 1901-8.) Double leaf boarded door under round gauged brick arch. Sundial over with inscription:

Disce dies numerare tuos 1825 William Watson delin

Dentilled brick eaves cornice, plain close verges. Chancel: 3-light mullioned window with leaded glazing under segmental arch. Plain Venetian east window. Dentilled eaves cornice, shaped kneelers to coped gable. Cross finial. Interior: C18 pulpit with raised and fielded panelling under sounding board with cornice. C18 altar rails with centre gate, turned balusters, and heavy moulded handrail with knob finials. Plain C12 tub font in tower chamber.

Listing NGR: SE7812941328

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 78129 41328

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 01:51:58.