List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PROBUS

List entry Number: 1310352

Location

CHURCH OF ST PROBUS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityProbus

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 62794

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PROBUS PROBUS SW 84 NE 4/89 Church of St Probus and 30.5.67 St. Grace

GV I

Parish Church. First vicar 1300 (Exeter Register), present building is C15 and C16 restored by G.E.Street in 1850 and extended by St Aubyn 1904. Shale rubble with granite quoins, dressings, buttresses and ashlar to tower, Delabole slate roofs with granite coped gables. Nave, chancel, west tower, north aisle and porch, south aisel and porch and south transept. North wall has seven bays with gable porch to second bay from west with granite 4 centred arched doorframe. Other bays have C15 Perpendicular granite 3 light millions with freestone tracery and C19 granite ashlar buttresses between. East wall has 3 Perpendicular style windows under gables surmounted by cross finials. Chancel gable was rebuilt in 1850 incorporating many ancient carved fragments. South aisle gable is 1904 as is south transept with boiler room under. South wall has C15 set back buttress to left. C15 window like those in north wall. Porch with 4 centred doorway and relief carving Anno G.T. 1637 R.B. 1768 in panel to gable, 2 C15 windows and buttresses, blind bay, transept, window and pointed arched door 1904 under to left. Tallest and most ornate Cornish medieval tower of 3 stages was begun circa 1523. West tower doorway is 4 centred and has hoodmould which becomes second string of quatrefoil decorated plinth. Fox and hound enrich string to north. 3 canopied niches with engaged crocketed pinnacles embellish north and south lower stages. Single Perpendicular bell openings with pierced granite screens between mullions and tracery to second stage and double ones to third stage with a range of 8 smaller ones under upper string to each side. Slightly set back buttresses are surmounted by crocketed pinnacles with engaged corner pinnacles under. Further pinnacles midway along crenellated parapet. Flanking north and south aisles have C15 gable windows. Lofty interior has granite wave moulded between sheets standard type B (Pevsner) piers with shields on capitals and 4 centred arcades of 7 bays to north and south of nave. Those between chancel and south aisle are probably 1904. C16 oak panelled screen divides nave from tower and C16 oak bench ends with words of old prayer painted in English (post Reformation) now form base of rood screen. Further reused oak panels in choir stalls and parclose, screen between chancel north aisle. The mosaic floor, east window and panelled wagon roof in chancel are probably 1850. North aisle west window glass is to Robert Lampen (former Vicar) 1853. Five light C19 east window glass is to Hawkins family of Trewithen. Then step newel stair to roof loft in north wall and C15 (or later) moulded wagon roof over and to north and south porches. Nave has C19 scissor braced roof and south aisle has C19 arched braced collar roof and 1904 barrel roof to east end beyond screen. C15 windows have chamfered rear arches and tower has tall arch with panelled responds and intrados, newel stair in north east corner. Interior fittings include brass memorial of 1514 in floor of south aisle to John and Cecilia Wolvedon of Golden Manor, granite Norman piscina to the sanctuary, a piscina in south wall near screen and memorial of 1766 on right to Thomas Hawkins with seated female figure holding medallion and an angel over. Octagonal font is 1845 to Sarah wife of William Stackhouse. Bench pews are of church restoration 1851, a letter from Charles Rex 1643 and James II Coat of Arms 1685.

Listing NGR: SW8990447726

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW 89901 47728

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 06:24:53.