List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GERMANUS

List entry Number: 1310051

Location

CHURCH OF ST GERMANUS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityMaker-with-Rame

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 61888

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 45 SW MAKER-WITH-RAME RAME

8/232 Church of St. Germanus

23.1.68 GV I

Parish Church. Consecrated 1259 by Bishop Walter de Bronescombe, probably on earlier foundations, C13 work includes the spire and the upper part of the tower, probably also the north wall of the chancel and the north transept. Rededicated 1321, by which time the south transept was also built (later replaced by south aisle) and tower arch. Late C15 enlargement including south aisle and south arcade, chancel east window, north window of north transept and extension of rood loft across south aisle. South windows of south aisle possibly late C15/early C16. Restoration of 1845 and 1885, at latter time the Norman tympanum was discovered and re-set in west wall of south aisle, and re-roofing. Slatestone rubble with granite dressings, C19 slate roof with crested ridge tiles. West tower, nave and chancel in one. South aisle with south chapel in one, north porch, north transept and north vestry. C15 work in Perpendicular style. Tower in one stage, is unbuttressed and has a long lancet bell-opening to each side with slate louvres and relieving arch, lower trefoil-headed west lancet, broach spire with gabled lancets and weathervane. Nave and chancel in one, with raised coped verges in rubble to gable end and cross finial, nave has a north window at west end with pointed arch, 2 lights with cusped lancets, Y-tracery and hood mould. Chancel has north lancet to east of transept and slight Perpendicular east window, with 4-centred arched head, trefoil heads to lights and upper tracery, hood mould; straight joint to chapel to south. South aisle and south chapel in one. At south side, 2 windows to aisle and one to chapel, all of 3 lights, with 2-centred arched hollow-chamfered lights with hood mould over flat head; 2nd bay from left has segmental-headed door with hollow- chamfered and step-stopped surround, C19 double doors. Projecting rood stair with pitched roof at junction between aisle and chapel, with blocked segmental-headed door to right of stair. West end of aisle has no windows, straight joint to nave. East end of chapel has 3-light window as on chancel, with stone raised coped verges and cross finial to gable end. Small gabled north porch has segmental-headed outer opening, appears to be C19 rebuilding. c19 scissors truss roof with tall pointed arched inner doorway with C19 door with re-used strap hinges. North transept has rubble coped verges and cross finial. 3-light window to north, as on chancel east end; the east window is a triple lancet with interesting tracery, pointed arch overall and relieving arch. Gabled north vestry has rubble verges and gable end stack in brick, single chamfered light to east. Interior Tower has pointed arched plain granite doorway to nave, with tall pointed rubble arch above. Nave and north transept roofed in one, a C19 wagon roof of 9 bays to nave, continuous to chancel, with moulded ribs and bosses, wide bay with diagonal ribs at meeting between transept and nave. Nave has chamfered rere-arch to north window. Over the pier between the chancel and the south chapel, a passage opening for the rood loft, with socket for beam to north. Chancel has trefoil-headed piscina in south wall, pointed arched chamfered door to north vestry and former external window to right of this door, a lancet with a triangular rere-arch. 5 bay arcade between nave/chancel and south aisle/chapel, piers with shaft at each corner and convex moulding between, with 4-centred arches of 2 chamfered orders, largely restored. The south aisle and chapel have continuous roof of C15, 11 bay wagon roof with carved wall-plate with angels missing at base of ribs, carved ribs with bosses (some missing), one row of purlins and ridge purlin. The aisle has door and upper opening to rood stair, Norman tympanum re-set on west wall, decorated with 3 circles with 4-spoked wheel, 4-petalled flower and saltire cross motifs. The chapel has a trefoil-headed piscina in south wall. The north transept has a squint to chancel, trefoil-headed piscina in east wall. Fittings Font in nave, C14, octagonal, set on round stone at base, possibly Norman. 5 pews with carved bench ends in south aisle and one in nave, of late C15/early C16 with carved bench ends in tracery patterns. Late C19 panelled organ loft at west end of nave. Pillar supporting almsbox in south chapel, dated 1633, fluted, with cable moulded ring and plain capital; 2 balusters of similar design as altar rail. Early C19 hatchment in nave recording benefactions. Screen by Herbert Read of Exeter, c. 1930. C17 ledger stones in nave and south aisle. In north transept, monument with slate inscription panel in bolection-moulded surround, cornice and steep pediment over with shield and 3 roundels in tympanum, skull at apex, to Mary Ashton 1664 and other members of the family. Monument on plinth with acanthus corbels, central head of cherub with wings, central black oval cartouche with cherub to top and skull with crossed bones below, wreath of bay leaves, Corinthian columns to sides, frieze and entablature, to Roger Ashton, 1677. In south chapel, oval marble tablet on slate ground, to Stephen Edwards, 1797. Baroque monument on plinth with corbels and scrolled apron, rectangular inscription panel with Ionic column left and right, frieze with grotesque mask over each column and central cherub, cornice broken forward to sides with central shield and helm and shields to sides at top, to John Battersby, 1672. All C19 lattice glazing except chancel east window with C19 stained glass in memory of Parson Key and transept east window with stained glass of 1917. (Sources: Radcliffe, E.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970).

Listing NGR: SX4262649150

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SX4262649150

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 02:41:20.