List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1309975

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, TALLINGTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of PeterboroughUnitary AuthorityBainton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49836

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5141 BAINTON TALLINGTON ROAD (east side) Church of St Mary TF 0906 28/52 19.3.62 GV 2. From early C13. Ashlar and with lead roofs. Nave has Decorated south window either side of porch and Decorated south doorway, large Perpendicular south windows. Early C13 north aisle and north chapel with straight headed Perpendicular windows. C15 chancel with Perpendicular 3-light east and south windows. The chancel, north aisle and chapel are buttressed and the nave, chancel and north aisle have moulded parapet. C15 south porch with battlements and winder 4-centred arch. C14 west tower with-angle buttresses, moulded base and recessed sides with large 2-light bell-openings with Y-tracery and ball flower friezes, west window has ogee details. Stone broach spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. Interior: Early C13 three bay northarcade plus one C14 bay at west end. Three bays have double-chamfered round arches and circular piers with round moulded capitals and abaci. The west bay is narrower and has pointed arch with crenellated capitals. Depressed tie beam nave and chancel roofs. Two fine C13 piscinas, not in original positions, both gabled, one with oak leaves and acorns, the other crocketed and with finial. C13 octagonal font on clustered columns. Monument to Mary Henson 1805 by Sir Richard Westmacott. Victorian furnishings. RCHM Northamptonshire Vol II.

Listing NGR: TF0944806050

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Ryland, W and Adkins, D and Sejeantson, R - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Northampton - Date: 1906

National Grid Reference: TF 09448 06050

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2014 at 03:23:02.