List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WERRINGTON PARK (HOUSE)

List entry Number: 1309836

Location

WERRINGTON PARK (HOUSE)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthorityWerrington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1957

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1989

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 68201

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WERRINGTON WERRINGTON PARK SX 38 NW 9/312 Werrington Park (house) (previously listed as Werrington House, 23.8.57 Werrington, Broadwoodwidger R.D, Devon)

GV I

Country house. Probably C16 incorporating parts of the earlier medieval fabric. Partly remodelled in 1641 (datestone) for Sir Francis Drake and later after 1649 for Sir William Morice and his son. Extended in the early C18 for Sir Nicholas Morice and Sir William Morice. Pevsner suggests that the later alterations and extensions may have been by William Kent. The earlier part was partly damaged by fire in 1974. Stone rubble rear range; extended at front in stuccoed brick. Slate roofs with hipped and gable ends. Rendered shafts to the axial and end stacks of the front range and projecting end and lateral stacks to the rear range. Plan: The house is arranged around a courtyard with the earlier C16 range to the rear on the north and the C18 house to the front on south. The rear range extends further to the right (east) and has two wings which project to its south from the left hand (west) end and from near the centre, connecting with the front to form a courtyard plan. The original arrangement is uncertain and by the early C16 the house was already fairly large being one of the residences of the Lord Abbot of Tavistock. However, in 1641, Sir Francis Drake (nephew of the admiral) was responsible for the remodelling which probably included the addition of a 3-storey porch and the stair projection to the rear of the passage. The house was remodelled by Sir William Morice after 1649 and the eastern (right hand) side of the earlier range was altered. Sometime between 1704 and 1740 the house was extended on the south. Otto Peter recorded in his guide to Werrington of 1906 that there was a datestone 'NMK 1704' which was probably contemporary with the marriage of Sir Nicholas and Lady Katherine Herbert, daughter of Thomas, 8th Earl of Pembroke. In 1740 Sir William Morice demolished the parish church and churchyard which had stood close to the house. The house was partly altered by the Dukes of Northumberland in the C19. Fire partly gutted the rear of the house in 1974 and part of the roof structure has been replaced; therefore the development of the earlier house is uncertain. The earlier long low rear range (on the north) is on ground that slopes down towards the east (right). The three storey porch to left (west) of centre leads into a wide passage with stair projection to rear. On the west (left hand) side of the passage are two rooms; the far room a large kitchen heated by an end stack and the middle room was divided in the C19 to form a dairy and scullery. The original purpose of these rooms are uncertain and many of the earlier features have been covered over by the complete and unaltered C19 fittings. The chamfered late C16 or early C17 arches to these rooms appear to have been partly reset. Above the dairy is a very low room with heavy floor joists and above are tall attic rooms which were gutted by the 1974 fire. On the eastern (right hand) side of the passage is a large servant's hall which is heated by a large projecting lateral stack. The chambers above contain the remains of detailing probably from the 1641 remodelling. The two low wings which project to the front (south) from the kitchen and servant's hall are C17 or earlier with C19 detailing covering earlier features including a very large fireplace in the west wing. Beyond to the east (right) the house appears to have been remodelled and possibly extended by Sir William Morice, the extension with low cellars and tall lofty panelled state rooms above. The panelling, windows and staircase suggests mid to late C17 date, surviving intact and are of fine quality. The house therefore temp. mid C17 to late C17 was of quite grand, the higher end was on the east (right) and service rooms were to the west (left). The early C18 extension of the mansion comprised a double depth block on the south side of the courtyard abutting the front wings of the earlier house. It is uncertain how much of an earlier structure was incorporated although the southern ends of the front wings to the earlier range appear to have been remodelled rather than extended and rebuilt. The front block has three principal rooms, a dining room (previously morning room), saloon and drawing room across the front with a wide corridor running across the entire length to the rear. On the first floor the plan is repeated with the principal bedrooms to the front and a corridor across the rear. The stair was accommodated to rear right and back stair to rear left, probably in the remodelled front ends of the earlier front wings. Exterior: south elevation of two storeys with a symmetrical 3:3:3 window front; central full height canted bay with hipped end. On the ground floor the central glazed door with pediment above is flanked by two C19 narrow 8-pane sashes and to right and left the central 12-pane sashes have moulded architraves and apron balustrades and are flanked by two plain 12-pane sashes. On the first floor are nine 6 and 4-pane sashes. The right and left side elevations are 3:1:1 and 1:1:3 bays respectively the entrance bays break forward and there is a large circa C19 porch on the right side with a moulded cornice and parapet. The south front of the earlier range has an almost symmetrical arrangement from the courtyard with a central 3-storey porch with datstone FAD 1641 flanked by two C19 crenellated outshuts and 2-light mullion windows above. The continuation of the earlier range to the east (right) contains at least one C17 mullion and transom window. The rear elevation to the north has an asymmetrical 5:1:4 window arrangement with five especially fine quality 12 over 9-pane late C17 sashes with thick glazing bars. The central projecting lateral hall stack is flanked by two C17 mullion and transom windows with lead cames to the glazing and two three-light cavetto moulded mullion windows above. The two storey range on the west has tall, partly blocked mullion and transom windows with 3-light mullion windows above. Interior: Front (south) block has outstanding quality circa 1730s French Rococo plasterwork, chimney-pieces, and complete joinery. The corridor across the rear contains C19 plaster medallions of the Duke and Dutchess of Northumberland. Cantilever open-well stair with wrought iron balustrade and fine circa 1730s or 1740s Rococo plasterwork depicting the arts and sciences. Smoking room and library in remodelled rear east wing have circa late C18 or early C19 ribbed moulded plasterwork decoration to the ceilings and fine C18 chimney-pieces. The earlier rear range on the north contains complete and unaltered C19 fittings and fixtures to the kitchen. Several of the granite doorframes have been resited, at least one having been narrowed when the arch was remodelled from a 4-centred arch to a two-centred arch. The chamber above the servant's hall has a fine ovolo-moulded doorcase probably contemporary with the 1641 remodelling and early C17 panelling which has probably been reset in the bedroom on the east. The eastern (right hand) part of the earlier range was only partly accessible at time of survey (1987) but contains cellars on ground floor with massive crossbeams and close-set floor joists, largely unmoulded. Fine quality panelling in the chambers above, probably used as state rooms by the Morice family in the mid to late C17 with bolection moulded and raised and fielded panelling. A guide of 1860 described painted portraits of Charles II and James.II which had been integral with the panelling. Late C17 stair with moulded ramped rail and turned balusters. Roof structure of earlier range replaced on west side. (Not inspected on east side). The west wing has six late C16 early C17 trusses with morticed apices, diagonally set ridges, halved, lap-jointed and pegged collars and trenched and threaded purlins. Two span king post roof to front range. Peter 0, The Manor and Park of Werrington, 1906 Pevnser, N The Buildings of England, Devon, 1958 Rendell, J Gateway to Cornwall, 1981.

Listing NGR: SX3320287118

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Otto, P, The Manor and Park of Werrington, (1906)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Devon, (1952)
Rendell, J , Gateway to Cornwall, (1981)
Other
Part 8 Cornwall and Isles of Scilly,

National Grid Reference: SX 33202 87118

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 11:11:15.